Class A for home use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Andrew,
All of the aleph series amplifiers use a 'load current sensing' active current sinks (ie they are not constant current) - I think that is what 'aleph' is intended to refer to.

As you asked about bridge load amps :

Aleph-X

If I recall correctly (?), the gain of the 'current source(s)' is ~x1.5 so the peak load current is somewhat higher the standing current would suggest (and the current in the other CS decreases at the same time).

As I see it - it is more efficient than a true bridge load, constant current, single ended amp.

dave

DRC said:

As I see it - it is more efficient than a true bridge load, constant current, single ended amp.
dave

Agree. But I prefer:

- to exclude capacitors from signal chains,
- use a push-pull topology to reduce demands to power supplier.

There are different shcools (is this word appropriate here? :) how to
design. One of them - to use fewer (but expensive) parts. At this case
audio quality depends on, as example, concrete capacitors models
at very high degree. And I go to by a next capacitor to replace the old one,
then - next, and so on. One day, I see the last capacitor cost is about the
whole amplifier cost :) You see, I overdraw the reality :) I just want to say,
it is more interesting to me to resolve the problems schematically.

Both ways are good: each scool has nice realisation examples.
It's matter of taste, I think.

Andrew

Andrew, I agree with you on the issue of expensive components - I do not think it is money well spent and prefer to use low cost parts myself (preferable the ones in my junkbox) :) :)

Slightly off topic (sorry, no MOSFET's and not even a complete / tested design !!!), here is my own take on an "aleph-X like" amp using very low cost components :

Daves amp !

I went for a SE design as I could see no benefit in the complexity of push-pull, when using a bridge-load design, as source & sink are fully symmetric. BTW, my current source works like a differential current generator (i hope !) and should produce 'optimum' efficiency.

I am interested in why you made push-pull and bridge-load a requirement ???

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.