Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2004, 12:27 PM   #1
Banned

Default please help me please..

Hi

im planning to build a power amplifier . but my resouces is limited bec most of it go to my schooling .So im here to ask some help to my fellow diyers who are willing give me their excess transistors that are lying around their workshop.even fakes one will do or anything that they feel that have no use . please help me please please .

my address
#1210 Abacan Malabanias Angeles city, philippines 2009

thanks
ferds
Old 7th December 2004, 11:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Are you willing to pay postage from the USA?

Are you?

Dan

dmfraser@sbcglobal.net
Old 8th December 2004, 12:18 AM   #3
glen65 is offline glen65  United States
diyAudio Member

I understand that your resources may be limited.
But do yourself a favor and donít resort to using
fake semiconductors. Iíve seen perfectly good
projects go up in smoke because of fake semis.
If something were to go wrong you could end up
tearing your hair out trying to figure out what went wrong
when all it was is the transistors.
Old 8th December 2004, 12:24 PM   #4
Banned

glen65

but i have no choice , here in my place most of the power transistors that i like are fakes especially the 2sc and 2sa . and the onsemi mjl's are toooo expensive for a student like me .
i hope you understand . so thats why i ask your help.

thanks
ferds
Old 8th December 2004, 12:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Are you willing to pay postage from the USA?

Quote:
Originally posted by dmfraser
Are you?

Dan

dmfraser@sbcglobal.net

Thats the Spirit of Professional Designer.
Glad to See u in this way

I also want to ask same question"are u willing to pay the postage" I have something for u?? Guess What

regards
ampman
Old 8th December 2004, 01:10 PM   #6
NUTTTR is offline NUTTTR  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you work for a company/run a company you can order from onsemi for samples for projects you are building if you are serious about it.....
i've used them a few times for projects, once you find out they suit, you can order stacks and pay for them proper, otherwise you just pay postage for them and that's it, they are free - as such
Aaron
Old 8th December 2004, 04:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default No Fakes

Glen65 is correct. You don't want fakes. You will be spending enough time and effort making the chase for the amplifier, the power supply and the circuit boards. However, if your transistors are fakes, you will be wasting ALL of the rest of the investment you make. You will be frustrated and all your time will have been wasted.

I know one reason wages are a lot lower in countries like yours and this implies your time is not worth as much as mine. However, this is caused mainly by distortions in the international money markets and exchange rates. In reality, on a personal basis, your time on earth is just as precious to you as my time is to me. To waste it on building something you cannot trust is fool hardy, no matter how poor you are.

You want to build this either to use it or to sell it. If you try to use it with fake transistors, you will never be able to trust it and you will end up having it fail at the worst time and end up having to buy good parts anyway.

If you try to sell it, it will fail for your customer at the worst possible time and he will come back to you looking for satisfaction. He may or may not be gentle about it.

You are trying to save perhaps $20.00 which will result in the waste of all your other effort.

Been there. Done that. Ended up paying the toll anyway.

Dan
Old 8th December 2004, 09:44 PM   #8
quasi is offline quasi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Using second-hand components

Hi monster;

I don't have much spare money either, probably for different reasons to yours.

Most of my projects including my current amp (see thread "power amp under development") use second hand transistors and other components that I have salvaged from discarded equipment.

I find this equipment at re-cyclers, rubbish dumps and often on the side of the road.

I use as much as I can including transistors, capacitors, power resistors, transformers, heatsinks and cases. Of course I have had to spend a lot more time testing and modifying components to suit.

The amp that I am working on is 75% complete and it has cost to date about $40 (AUS). It will cost less than $100 completely finished.

This has meant though that I have had to design the amp to suit components that I have, but to me that adds to the challenge and fun.

Anyway if you are willing to pay for postage I can send you a set of n-channel FETS (second hand & tested) for your project. I also have plenty of second hand N-channel TO3 transistors. You will be suprised how many of these are in your neighbourhood in junked equipment.

Cheers
Old 8th December 2004, 09:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Used Parts

Actually used parts are fine to use. When a piece of electronics is junked usually only one part has failed or even more likely a connection has gone bad and all the parts are fine. As long as you can do any sort of testing to the parts, and its not hard to test a transistor, transistors that have survived years of service are likely to be just nicely burned in and a far safer bet than new but known to be fke transistors.

I bet this fellow could get broken equipment for next to nothing and those usually come with lots of other useful bits and pieces as well.
Old 9th December 2004, 05:41 AM   #10
Banned

Hi guys

im so very happy that there are a lot of people that arewilling to help me .thank you for that .
i know fakes are no good in a long run but i dont know if you can find genuine toshiba and sanken devices here in my place . motorola or onsemi devices are too way expensive it cost around
8-10 dollars a piece which is equal to a day work salary . I also
tried looking in a junkyard and find nothing important, people here rarely throw their broken amps they can find a way or person to fix their amp. as far as building a power amplifier is concern, i have build a couple of power amps for my friends which i think uses fake power tansistors.

and for the postage billing im willing to pay for that but i have only about 10-15 dollars (approx) in my savings right know and idont have a credit card either.

you can used this mailing address instead

Ferdinand C Calma
#5067 Abacan Malabanias Angeles City Philippines 2009

thanks
ferds

Hide this!Advertise here!