Which Amp to keep - Technics or NAD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
At the moment I have 2x integrated Amps and I need to get rid of one. I wont be able to give them a good audition for some time yet so I am wondering what in your oppion would be a keeper:smash:

One is a NAD 3150 , the other is a Technics SU8080.

The Technics is built like a tank, feels really solid and is more powerful. Its all metal, no plastic and from the 1970's.
You can see pics of the technics inside and out here:
http://max8888.orcon.net.nz/audiosetup.htm

The NAD is smaller, looks cheaper, plastic knobs etc but its a NAD and they have quite a reputation.
I will attach some pics of the NAD.

Attachments

• nad2.jpg
    nad2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 311
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Based on past expereince, sonics of the NAD should be better than the Technics. Build quality og the Technics is probably better. (you do need to take a can of air to the inside of the NAD).

The Technics would probably we a better superstructure to hang all-new DIY bits (what is the rail voltage?)

dave

The NAD should be better but it's too old and rusty. Maybe you'll have problems with it in the future. And remeber that more power isn't all times better! Check the sound of both two amps with many speakers, and check if with a particular one the amps behave different. Chose the one that drive most speakers better, and that have sufficiently power for you!

That Thecnics looks good, by the way...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.