Cleaning an Amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all;

I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on just how to clean a Kenwood KA-701? Over time, it has gotten quirky, with channel dropouts and static. If I jiggle the knobs correctly, sound comes back until I change the volume, switch sources, etc. Then it may or may not drop out again, randomly between left and right channels. Seems like I need to clean it, but other than taking a can of air to it, I don't know how to do this.

Thanks, Mike

I use to remove transformer and S-Meters

And them, go to a real shower....with a soft brush passing soap or the material you use to clean your dishes..the neutral one....

And shower with the amplifier....before remove the wooden cabinet if the unit has that cover.

Use sun ligth to dry it, or put is near your heater...not over it.... carefull not to melt plastics.

Also you can use your wife turbo hair drier....wait 1 day over sun ligth and wind passing to install the transformer again together the Meters (if the amplifier use them).

My environment is good for that.... sunrise all the year, and also the wind is always making noise in my windows....if you are in winter now...better to go chemical cleaner.

Never use Alcohol, Amonia, and hard Petrol solvents....do not use thinner, carefull, only watter and soap and soft brush...those special fluids to remove hard dirty will erase the panel letters.

Yes, i made hundred of times...never had problems...never!

regards,

Carlos

The first order of business would be to go ahead and
clean ALL of the controls and switches. I would strongly
recomend using something like Caig DeoXit. This is available
at radio shack. However Do Not use the cheaper Radio shack
brand cleaner. Spray a small amount into each control. Then
work it back and fourth a few times then allow it to set at least
24 hours before using the equipment again.

Heres the cleaner I spoke of earlier.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_001_001_000&product_id=64-4338

Its also available here.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=341-200&DID=7

Good Luck

A can of Deoxit from Caig will last a long time. You wil find it works like magic - pots and switches you thought would never work again come right back to life after a squirt and a couple turns back and forth. You can even squirt it into push switches and such to good effect.

I use it daily on my bench - I service pro audio and guitar amps and such.

I see no reason to let it sit a day, it is not conductive. And it doesn't take much, you don't need to flush out the controls, just get a film of this stuff going on. A quick squirt does it.

Deoxit is not real good for sliders. It cleans them electrically, but then mechanically they do not slide as freely. For sliders use MCL Cailube, also from Caig Labs.

Deoxit is available from many sources.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.