Class A amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hé Mènneke,

at 25 watt it is laid out for Tj= 80 C.

The powersupply and heatsink cost a bundle: add two more 1216/2922 and the bias can go a lot higher with heatsink temperature at 55 C instead of 45 C., Tj =75 C.

4 times 2SA1216 or 2SC2922 go for 17 Euro at Schuro.
With a few alterations the PCB layout of the elektor LMA50 can be used for 4 output transistors.

Replace the wirewound by MPC71, at Schuro for 0.62 Euro or at Speaker en Co.:clown:

Hi Andrew.

MPC71 is the name of the white block emitter resistor you see in japanese amplifiers for decades.

It is a metalband resistor with low self inductance, unlike wirewound resistors.
Not completely inductance free, resistors that are supposed to be are 10 times the price.
MPC71 has a 5watt rating, MPC72 is 10 watt, made by Motorola.
There is also a dual version, the MPC725, if space is limited.

Like ring emitter transistors, MPC's are easilly available nowadays for $ 0.50 a piece, a DIY bloke like me had to travel half of Europe to buy them for five times as much in my early college days.
I used to scavange broken japanese amps for these parts.
(still do actually, the MPC725 i call Double Dutch :clown: )

Nygaard also uses ceramic caps in his designs.
The ceramic caps i swapped for low cost styroflex capacitors.
(i cherish my precious Siemens styroflex's )
I havent got a clue why some still use ceramic caps, other than that they are cheap caps in the pF range.
Steve Bench did tests on capacitors, check out the curve for ceramic's.

Attachments

• ceramic caps.jpg
    ceramic caps.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 291
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.