Mystery Amplifier - check it out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Funny thing about DIY, its got me visiting surplus stores looking for chassis, heat sinks, and other DIY matierials. Picked up this for $20, kind of expensive for "junk" but figured I could use the heat sinks. (Its the one on the right, the one on the left is my BOSOZ preamp shown for scale. See the preamp here).

Looks like an amplifier, its got lots of transistors and high power resistors. A real work of art, it will be a shame to take it apart. Looks military. Its pretty massive, perhaps suitable for an Aleph X or something?

Anyone know what this is? Ideas for the parts, are they any good? Was it a good deal or did I spend too much?

Attachments

• mystery1.jpg
    mystery1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,190
It looks like an industrial quality motor drive amplifier. It is usually relatively low voltage, high current, with a current output rather than voltage output. It will have to be completely changed to be useful, but the heatsink, itself, is worth what you paid. You can put a whisper fan on the end and still get good cooling, however, you must use a fan.

The esteemed Mr. Curl is quite correct... but I can add one thing.
The heatsinks do come apart, and you get 4 very nice extrusions
which can be used vertically for pretty decent convection cooling
applications, but of course not at the same power levels that you
could with the original fan blasted method. :D

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
It looks like an industrial quality motor drive amplifier. It is usually relatively low voltage, high current, with a current output rather than voltage output. It will have to be completely changed to be useful, but the heatsink, itself, is worth what you paid. You can put a whisper fan on the end and still get good cooling, however, you must use a fan.

Maybe you can use it as it is...current amps are very HOT nowadays (pun intended)...

Arne K

Amp disassembled

Here is a picture of the disassembled amp. There are 4 big heatsinks and 8 small ones, and a lot of power devices.

The heatsinks do indeed come apart and can potentially be used standing up. hmm...

Attachments

• mystery5.jpg
    mystery5.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 981
What a shame, what you have there is one heavy duty Ram Jet intercooler.

Oops, i am talking Chevy again, wrong thread !

However, on that picture i see plenty Heavy Duty armor Dale resistors to slow down a low dBA alloy long life Papst vent.
Personally i like vents to suck cooling tunnels instead of blowing.

(oops again, am i reading my words correctly ? )

Op top of that, the Dales bolt right on the duct, not even the holes need to be tapped.
And, MJ150024, MJ150025 or something like IRF244's fit there too, by the dozen.

Mr Green, you are not seriously considering them erect, are you ?

Attachments

• 8550 du papst.jpg
    8550 du papst.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 774
Usage

What a shame, what you have there is one heavy duty Ram Jet intercooler.

Mr Green, you are not seriously considering them erect, are you ?

Well you are right, its a shame. This thing was ultra high quality, all the holes are tapped and threaded, even the ones for the Dale power resistors. I've removed and have all the mounting hardware, the heat sinks are held together by a complex bracing system that still looks very strong. This would be perfect for a fan and heat tunnel. I'm definately going to use it, we will just have to wait and see.

Many years ago I came across a similar heatsink
assembly which is prewired for five emitter follower
pairs per side. Just add rail voltages and drive,
and it's a monster amplier which I will call Bubba.

Though it may only be an exercise in blowing up
transistors. Plan to use MJ21193/4 devices and initially
drive it with a spare Leach amplifier board.

Wish I had a source for more of them. I think it
originally used in RCA mainframe computers--that'll
give you an idea of how old it is. I took off scads of
2N3055-type transistors but may keep the .2 ohm
eimitter resistors. All busbar construction, soldered and
rugged as heck.

bubba

Don't know if this is Bubba's brother or cousin or something, but here is what came from it:
9 Motorola 2N5303
13 Motorola 2N5745
4 diodes 1N188R
3 diodes 1N1188
1 diode 1N1186
1 diode 1N1186R

I will follow your suggestion and use MJ21193/4 to make a Krell KSA-50 clone as being discussed here in the Solid State forum.

Mystery amp.

Hi, I have taken several of those apart. The ones I had were the power supply and servo amps for a big reel to reel computer tape drive. I would have killed for one of them years ago. The power supply was 36 volts + and -. The transistors were 15 amp 80 volt compliments.
I used the emmiter resistors and replaced the transistors with MJE15024 and MJE15025. Made for a neat looking amp! I have two more tunnels that were the vertical deflection amps for an old monitor. What a find! I have them sitting on a shelf just waiting......
Regards, Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.