Op amp class A biasing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
from tangentsoft
Method 1: A Resistor
opamp bias schematic, resistor method

Ohm’s Law says I = V÷R. Since R is constant with a resistor, if V — the voltage drop across the resistor, in this case — is also constant, then the current through the resistor (I) is constant.

Let’s say you’re powering the op-amp from a ±12 V power supply. With no output signal, the distance will be 12 V between the op-amp’s output and V-. If you put a 10 kΩ resistor from the output of the op-amp to V-, you’ll get 1.2 mA of current draw while the output of the op-amp stays at 0.

There are two problems with trying to treat a simple resistor as a current source. First, it will only give a constant current level while the op-amp’s output signal remains constant. If the op-amp is amplifying a music signal, the bias level will only be constant during the silent parts, but the bias is there to improve the audible parts. This isn’t to say that a resistor bias is useless, just that the bias level will vary with the output signal level, which is suboptimal. With our 3.5 Vrms signal across a 10 kΩ resistor, the current level will vary by ±50%!
Of the three methods described by Tangentsoft, the resistor method is least likely to give good results.
if you go for method 3 then the two jFETs should be different types.
select a low gm high Idss jFET for Q2
and select a high gm low Idss jFET for Q1
If you want around 3mA of current drain, then Idss of Q1 should be around 4mA. LSK170A, or similar
Then Q2 Idss should be at least double that i.e. >8mA BF244C, or similar.
Using this combination you may find that Rs = zero ohms.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I use 2 15K resistors parallel to get 7.5. So curent will be -15 / 7.5K = 2ma

I have plug into my DAC. Sound natural. I like the sound very much.

Better than unbias AD797BRZ (more natural)

Attachments

• 2ma.jpg
    2ma.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 591
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is another very easy way to bias an opamp into class A and not have to worry about any PSRR degradation - see attached diagram. DIYaudio forum member jcx showed this a few years ago and I used it on my Symphony preamp. If you are looking for the ultimate in quality, its best to also buffer the opamp as shown. You can then drive loads up to 2x the peak buffer standing current with virtually no loading effect on the opamp at all.

Separately, I used a class A/buffer design and measured it on an AP about 5 or 6 years go. The distortion was at the AP limit at around 1.5 ppm - there's a write up on my website with the measurements (look for 'class A Buffer').

Attachments

• Bootstrapped class A040.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 623
There is another very easy way to bias an opamp into class A and not have to worry about any PSRR degradation - see attached diagram. DIYaudio forum member jcx showed this a few years ago and I used it on my Symphony preamp. If you are looking for the ultimate in quality, its best to also buffer the opamp as shown. You can then drive loads up to 2x the peak buffer standing current with virtually no loading effect on the opamp at all.

Separately, I used a class A/buffer design and measured it on an AP about 5 or 6 years go. The distortion was at the AP limit at around 1.5 ppm - there's a write up on my website with the measurements (look for 'class A Buffer').

Great stuff Andrew! Looked at the article. CCS'ed current sink + CCS'ed buffer = perfect combination :cool:
Thanks for sharing.

Dear Mr. Bonsai,

Can you help me a little?

What are the value of 3 resistors in Bootstrapped Class A opamp?

My rail voltage is +15VDC and -15VDC

Rclassa determines the current in Class A the Opamp deliveres... So, basically Ohms law... For each mA it's about 650 (Ohms)/ x (mA) (assuming Vbe = 0,65V )

The other two resistors determine the amplification of the total circuit. Let's assume the most left resistor is R1 and the other R2 : (R1+R2) / R1 = amplification

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.