Discussion of Solid State vs. Tubes - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2002, 04:22 PM   #21
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Not simply the voltage

Quote:
Originally posted by MRehorst

Voltages in tube equipment can be hazardous, and if you have no experience putting together electronic stuff, you might consider going solid state for your first go at it.

MR
Don't get the idea you need to be less careful with SS. Voltage itself isn't a killer. That little spark of static electricity you feel when you touch a door knob afeter shuffling acrosss a carpet is very, very high voltage, Just no current.

Low/modest voltage with a heavy current can be very bad. Auto batteries can give you a nasty jolt and they are only 12V. In any case the mains current and power supply cicuitry on either a tube amp or an SS amp present potentially lethal situations. Not to mention large can capacitors. I like the remark (by Rod Elliot, I think) that a typical large filter cap packs enough jules to lift your pet dog a few feet off the ground!
Old 21st July 2002, 01:11 AM   #22
Account Disabled

Send a message via ICQ to gromanswe Send a message via AIM to gromanswe Send a message via Yahoo to gromanswe
Quote:
Originally posted by roddyama

Soooo... That's what this is all about. Typical engineer, "if a little is good... ".

Rodd Yamashita
You have got it!

Why take more than you need......????
People are greedy, want more! and more, and more ...........infinity

That leaves less for others' needs
For flowers, animals, family in africa
Trees

But in the end GREEDE punishes itself

You can not hang on to a branch of a tree
if you saw of the bit of the tree
you are sitting on.
You got it?

gro
Old 21st July 2002, 04:02 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EternaLightWith Send a message via Yahoo to EternaLightWith
Default Thanks

All of you who replied. You've been a big help. My thoughts are a little less random now. You've given me a lot to thing about. I think the hybrid system is the way to go. I'm going to start designing one soon. That idea about the chasis and graph paper will save me a lot of frustration later.

I appreciate your responses

Eternalightwithin
Old 22nd July 2002, 09:40 PM   #24
The one and only

Do not underestimate the aphrodisiac effects of
glowing candles - I mean filaments.

Old 23rd July 2002, 12:47 AM   #25
PedroPO is offline PedroPO  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to PedroPO
I have both tube and solid state class A amp, without feedback and single ended operation.

both have a few (less then ten) watts of power.

I find that my tube amp is far better in the upper/mid band region. I can "see" that with vocal and acoustic music in a side by side test.

In the bass region the mosfet amp deliver a more solid bass, much much deeper and better controled. the tube amp is a bit dull and bassless.

So I actually am biamping with passive crossovers in the speakers, connecting the tube amp in the upper/mid section and the solid state in the bass section.

It works G.R.E.A.T. !

Try it if you have both amps, and biwire spks
Old 23rd July 2002, 01:58 AM   #26
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Low/modest voltage with a heavy current can be very bad. Auto batteries can give you a nasty jolt and they are only 12V.
Nah, thats a load, you cant get a shock from 12V unless you lick the terminals or something. The only time you can get a shock from a cars electrical system is the ignition coil. 12V isnt enough to counter the very high resistance of the skin.
Old 23rd July 2002, 02:09 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Domestic Harmony

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
Do not underestimate the aphrodisiac effects of
glowing candles - I mean filaments.
So WAF = Wife Aphrodisiac Factor ?.

Eric.
Old 23rd July 2002, 02:18 AM   #28
Account Disabled

Send a message via ICQ to gromanswe Send a message via AIM to gromanswe Send a message via Yahoo to gromanswe
Default PedroPO

Quote:
Originally posted by PedroPO
I have both tube and solid state class A amp, without feedback and single ended operation.

both have a few (less then ten) watts of power.

I find that my tube amp is far better in the upper/mid band region. I can "see" that with vocal and acoustic music in a side by side test.

In the bass region the mosfet amp deliver a more solid bass, much much deeper and better controled. the tube amp is a bit dull and bassless.

So I actually am biamping with passive crossovers in the speakers, connecting the tube amp in the upper/mid section and the solid state in the bass section.

It works G.R.E.A.T. !

Try it if you have both amps, and biwire spks
I would like to try that with
tube pre-voltage amplifers
and solid current amplifiers, output buffers

what you think/say?
Old 23rd July 2002, 02:50 AM   #29
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

gromanswe, what you sudjested is eactly what I'm working on at the moment. A se tube voltage gain stage and a class-a se mosfet current gain stage (almost unity gain). Just waiting for my heatsinks to get back from the shop, but I'm betting it'll be pretty good.
Old 23rd July 2002, 04:30 AM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: PedroPO

Quote:
Originally posted by gromanswe
tube pre-voltage amplifers
and solid current amplifiers, output buffers
This has been done with some success. The Pathos Twin Towers (they don't call it that anymore in respect to 911) is probably the most well known commercial success.

A local fellow (we call him the professor) has such a beast and it is very good.

I'd like to see more DIY variations, it seems a good compromise between tubes & SS and having to buy output transformers.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!