Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2004, 01:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Default So,I wanna build another amp..

Hey guys,

I wanna build another amp..
I've built a subwoofer amp from "scratch" before from stuff I had around the workshop,and a schematic of a car amp I copied.
Prolly about 150W output...then I finally blew it up while fiddling with the output stage.

This time I've got a buncha parts from a Sansui amp I've had for a while (A-1130p) 2 x 130W
It gives me grief whenever I try to fix it..So I gutted it a bit,and want to rebuild it..(reuse the chassis,and some of the parts.)

Heres what I have...
450VA/350W power tranny,secondaries 47-0-47 and 16-0-16 Vac.
And 2x 8200uf 80V caps.. (I think the rails were about +/- 70v at idle.)

Output transistors are 2SC2581 / 2SA1106
Drivers for outputs are 2SC2591 / 2SA1111
I have a bit of an output circuit worked up around those (copied from the Sansui.) But I'm willing to change it a bit..
The Sansui originally used a STK3102 for the front end,and I think,had somekind of bias servo circuit.
I guess I really just need a suitable circuit for the front end,or a schematic of a complete amp that will work with the parts I have here..

Can anyone suggest a circuit to follow?

I have this stuff available for the rest of the circuit..
ECG/NTE 373/374's
ECG/NTE 323
2SC1815/2SA1015(?)
2SA733
2SA777
2SC458
2SC711
2SC1345
2SC1509
2SC1684

I also have lots of other parts floating around the workshop..Boxes of stuff I havn't even looked through yet,who knows what might pop up!
I already found a buncha TO-3 transistors,and 10 pairs of MJ15011/15012!,so I should be set for parts,I just need a suitable circuit for the parts I have available..

Later on those MJ15011/12's might make thier way into a couple of Leach amps...or maybe one big monoblock!

Thanks guys! Any suggestions would be great.
Old 30th November 2004, 01:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Okay,so I'm leaning towards the ESP 3a,using the parts I have on hand..
http://sound.westhost.com/project3a.htm

But,
It looks like my +/- rails are gonna be a bit (2x) higher at 65-70Vdc,instead of the 35V (42V max) specified on the ESP page..I know the output,and driver transistors I have will handle the voltage,what about Q1,2,3,4,9?
Does anybody know off-hand if any of the transistors above will survive the higher rails before I go digging through datasheets?
Is there anything else I should change because of the higher voltage?

Maybe someone knows of a ~100W amp schematic with 60-70V rails I could follow instead?
Old 1st December 2004, 02:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
From my understanding your tranny has two different secondarie voltages? one being 16 and the other 47?

If so you should Gut the whole thing and build a new shiny preamp and amp into it. No idea which one though

Just my limited input
Old 1st December 2004, 10:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scribble
From my understanding your tranny has two different secondarie voltages? one being 16 and the other 47?
Yep,one 47-0-47Vac main secondary,and a second (lower current) 16-0-16Vac secondary that was used for everyting else (preamp stuff,protection circuitry,led power meter,etc.)

Quote:
If so you should Gut the whole thing and build a new shiny preamp and amp into it.
Thats the plan,I just need to find a suitable schematic to follow..

Hide this!Advertise here!