Long cables: speaker or line-level? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2002, 12:53 AM   #11
Account Disabled

Send a message via ICQ to gromanswe Send a message via AIM to gromanswe Send a message via Yahoo to gromanswe
Default is turntable RCA

Then she can't use a XLR-RCA adapter, can she?
There is only problem when 2 are different.
But I am unsure of which is which
Old 18th July 2002, 01:29 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to nania
gromanswe

She did use the aforementioned adapter and I think she disconnected the ground fork at the turntable. If anybody knows how to pinout this oddbal configuration, post it on this thread.
Old 18th July 2002, 01:58 AM   #13
Account Disabled

Send a message via ICQ to gromanswe Send a message via AIM to gromanswe Send a message via Yahoo to gromanswe
Default So her Amp have RCA input?

I would use a RCA-RCA adapter
Old 18th July 2002, 06:09 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: So her Amp have RCA input?

In your situation for surrounds i'd run long speaker wire.

On the other topics that have come up:

I run about 4m of single ended cable from my pre-amp to my active crossovers with no problems. When my new pre-amp arrives and i get it built, and when i get my new XO designed and built i will be switching to balanced. I'd also like to wire my turntable with balanced/differential output to get the max out of the new pre.

Why does the lady with the TT want XLRs? Does she want to run it differential (ie two connectors) or does she just want a single plug?

dave
Old 18th July 2002, 12:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to nania
Her phono stage has XLR (balanced) inputs and her turntable has the conductors (wires) listed above. I just need to identify the pinout to put an XLR connector on the turntable so that it can connect to the phono stage (preamp) XLR input.
Old 18th July 2002, 05:14 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nania
Her phono stage has XLR (balanced) inputs and her turntable has the conductors (wires) listed above. I just need to identify the pinout to put an XLR connector on the turntable so that it can connect to the phono stage (preamp) XLR input.
A pair of XLR inputs for balanced. The pre-amp manual should have the pin-out or contact the manufacturer or pop the top.

If the arm is wired with a common ground -- The cart hot goes to the non-inverted input, ground to ground and the inverted input is left floating.

If there are seperate grounds you can take them (separatly) to the inverted input and leave the ground unconnected.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!