JLH problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I am wondering if one of my regulators are bad?
I have + 22v and -22v untill I connect the power supply to the amp. When I turn the amp on I still have +22v but the neg goes to 0v and then goes to -5v when I switch the amp off.
I have been checking the amp board for the last 3 days. I can't find any faults.
Thanks Steve

serosmaness said:
Hello everyone. I am wondering if one of my regulators are bad?
I have + 22v and -22v untill I connect the power supply to the amp. When I turn the amp on I still have +22v but the neg goes to 0v and then goes to -5v when I switch the amp off.
I have been checking the amp board for the last 3 days. I can't find any faults.
Thanks Steve
Sounds like the neg rail reg is shutting down. Try checking the impedance to ground from the power input with the power supply disconnected. If something is shorted it should show up hitting it with a VOM.

George

Hi Steve

No answer for you as yet (too little information on which to work) but a few questions.

What regulators are you using and in which circuit arangement?

Which version of the JLH have you built and what is your intended quiescent current?

Have you set the quiescent current control preset to give the minimum Iq prior to conecting the power supply?

Have you tested the power supply using a dummy (resistive) load?

Geoff

Hi . I am using the circuit on page 4 fig 2 The Final Circuit without the feedback cap C-4. I am using the lm338t regs. I have the iq set low. I read only .114v acrossR10
I found Q.2 shorted to the heatsink via the screw. Now I have +22v and Neg 22v but the - side drops out after a few seconds but when I have the -22 I have 7v at the speaker output.When the -22 drops out I get 22 volts out.

Thanks Geoff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.