DS1807 digital attenuator use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm trying to make a volume remote control for my amp, and so I'm using DS1807 (dual attenuator 5V supplied) . It works ok with positive DC voltage but I seems it doesn't support direct connection of the symetric audio signal on the digital pot (the negative part is limited to about 1v). I supposed I will have to polarize the input at 2.5V so the input signal will swing between 5v and 0v with +/- 2.5 V at the input. I've found nothing clear to me in the datasheet.

Has anybody ever done that ?? I'm looking for help ...

Thanks .
David

STOP STOP STOP !!!!

Get the DS1808, it has dual 12V supplies and 5 V logic supply.
Being Dutch and all there, is one other, cheaper solution. Put capacitors both at input and at the output of the DS1807. Use bipolar caps, if you use electrolytics put them with the positive terminal towards the DS1807. Don't use the DS1807 as you do, since a negative input current on a CMOS can trigger an intrinsic thyristor on the chip, making it blow up due to uncontrolled currents.

Andreas

Resistors to Vcc/2 are not entirely neccessary since the intternal diodes to vcc and gnd, these will center the DC. Especially if you have an unsymmetrical input wave, that is possible, you will gain a few dB headroom before clipping. The most McCoy solutions is of course resistors Vcc/2. These resistors have a drawback of inducing Vcc noise into the signal path though. The resistors can be 1 Meg. Remember to also have a capacitor to the common terminal of the potentiometer as well, so the potentiometer is able to float DC wise.

Andreas

To use +-2.5V supplies is nice but you have to have get some problems regarding to interfacing to a microcontroller or PC or whatever. There has to be very sanitary constructions as to avoid noise from digital side. I use DS1808 with separate logic and analog supplies and grounds. It also handles up to +- 12V supplies for the analog section. Feels safe. For switches I use MAX335 also +-12V analog region. I ordered booth from Maxim, no prolemo.

Andreas

Hey Oil,

Are you using the DS1802 in a passive setup? When using a +/-2.5v supply did you experience any clipping? Did you incorporate a wheatstone bridge like the app note uses?

I'd like to use one between my CD player and amp, but don't want to add the wheatstone-bridge and I am worried about the clipping that others have described.

I'm looking for a DS1802 schematic.

I don't understand the purpose of the zeners in that schematic (TL431s), and nor do I have them, so I can't use that schematic.

Does anybody have a simple schematic that will work allowing me to connect it between my computer and speakers to control volume? It's a stereo 3.5mm connector, and I want one up and one down button for this control. Can this be done easily and simply?

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.