Want to build my first amp - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2005, 06:59 AM   #291
Jennice is offline Jennice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Terry,

If we were to get tired of you, we would let you know and just wouldn't reply. That's no problem yet, though.
If I wasn't prepared to help with whatever I can (and can find time for, before the spouse starts yelling ), I wouldn't feel entitled to the support I've got with my questions on this forum.
This isn't meant to be a comment about you not being able to help, as we all started somewhere, and most have probably been in your situation.

If I recall correctly, you don't know very much about the electronics. Maybe this is the time to put on some good music, and listen to your first achievement, while you read some books about the components and how they work. Just a suggestion.

Jennice
Old 14th January 2005, 02:08 PM   #292
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jens,

You're right. I do need to read a bit, if for no other reason than to begin to understand the terms and what they mean.I surely would like to understand transistors and how they function.

Any suggestions as to some reading material that a dummy can understand?

I've read your notes and they have helped a lot, but some of it still goes over my head. Shere's a good place to start?

Thanks, Terry
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 14th January 2005, 03:06 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to diyampss
Default books

Quote:
Originally posted by still4given

You're right. I do need to read a bit, if for no other reason than to begin to understand the terms and what they mean.I surely would like to understand transistors and how they function.

Any suggestions as to some reading material that a dummy can understand?

I've read your notes and they have helped a lot, but some of it still goes over my head. Shere's a good place to start?

Thanks, Terry
Hi Terry,
For the basics "Radio Shack" sells a work book or project book. It contains formulas, theory and circuits to build & test components.

Searching the internet using "basic bipolar transistor theory" ought to be helpful.

If the old Q7 transistor hasn't been tossed do the diode test and transistor gain (hfe) test in dmm socket and resistance. Also compare with a good working transistor almost any PNP type will do.

Joe
Old 14th January 2005, 03:29 PM   #294
diyAudio Member

OK... So we're REALLY basic here....
No offence meant, Terry, it's just that from an engineers point of view this should be obvious, but then again, I spend years studying, so I OUGHT to know more then you on this issue. Each his own skills... I can't put together any notes that make music.

I have one book on speaker building from Radio Shack, and I like the way it is set up, so I agree with the suggestion to find their books.

When you've got a grip on things, you can advance to something like Barry Woollard's "Practical Electronics".

Where do my notes start giving you trouble? Maybe it's just not understandable to anyone but the author, so it needs a revision? I got little feedback on the notes, especially considering that it's downloaded 1.5 times a day on average (and it's been long since it's release!)

The most important subject to keep track of, is that some of the electronic components are current controlled devices, while others are voltage controlled. This requieres the designer to think differntly, depending on the situation.

Example (simplified and not 100% correct, but just to illustrate):
If you take an ordinary light bulb and connect it to your vario-transformer, the light intensity is voltage dependent. The more you turn up the vario, the more the bulb lights up.
If you take a NPN transistor like the BC547 (which is cheap and actually very good), the controlling pin (BASE) is operated by the current flowing into it, not the voltage applied to it.

Jennice
Old 14th January 2005, 04:06 PM   #295
diyAudio Member

Thanks both of you. I will look into the books you've recommended.

Jens,

I read through your notes again this morning, after I posted. I hadn't realized how much I've learned through putting this amp together and all the advise you guys have shared. I understood a great deal more this morning than I did the first time I read through them.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten more feedback. I think it is a great resource! It was very good of you to take the time and effort to do that.

Blessings, Terry
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 14th January 2005, 05:02 PM   #296
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Terry!

It's about 6pm and it won't be long 'till dinner. I think I'll grant myself an extra glass of wine.

I won't get tipsy - I pomise.

Hide this!Advertise here!