Power amp under development - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2006, 09:10 AM   #511
quasi is offline quasi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Hey good looking

Quote:
Originally posted by TomWaits
What happens when the output of this amp is shorted?

I think I read the entire thread and I'm suprised more people are not trying this design and posting pics and feedback? I saw a +/-supply voltage versus number of output devices used table. I can't see it any more, repost?

Has anyone built this with a different PCB lauout?
I like it, it's on my list and I just ordered 20 IRFP's. If I get it up and running I'll have 3 power amps without cases but I'm working on it.

Shawn.

You're obviously referring to the Cat.

If you short this amp practically nothing happens (anymore that is). The amp does not have short cct protection apart from the fuses and it is likely that a short cct will destroy the output FETs. It would be quite easy to add protection....on a new thread perhaps.

The table can be found here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...932#post794932

I too would like to see variations of constructions posted here.

I estimate about 20+ amps have been built so far, most constructors though seem to prefer anonymity and have communicated with me via email. That's cool too.

My workbench is currently hosting a father & son team who are building a stereo setup each. They ordered $400 AUS of transformers and capacitors today (so commitment has been demonstrated). I'll post piccies of their efforts shortly.

Good luck with your construction.

Cheers
Quasi
Old 17th May 2006, 01:44 PM   #512
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Quasi,
I think it would be great if some constructors could post some work in progress or completed pics! It would help others considering this project.

-Chris
Old 17th May 2006, 06:42 PM   #513
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Hey good looking

Quote:
Originally posted by quasi

You're obviously referring to the Cat.
I thought the project was a good looking one, but yes the kitty cat is cute. Shawn.
Old 20th May 2006, 03:52 AM   #514
diyAudio Member

Default Goodies

I recieved a rail of IRFP450's as samples today Then I picked up $40 of caps and new drill bits for the press. Also got some more PCB etching gear. THEN I picked up some FAMILY at the airport, so that shuts me down for a little while. I should have some progress in a week or so. Shawn.
Old 20th May 2006, 06:24 AM   #515
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I recieved a rail of IRFP450's as samples today
Where did you get them?
Old 20th May 2006, 09:40 AM   #516
diyAudio Member

Default Another Power Supply Board

-
Hi folks,

This is another PSU PCB layout designed to make use of snap in style capacitors. It was designed to be used in the father & son construction and is posted here in case it's helpful to others.

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf amp psu gr.pdf (26.5 KB, 568 views)
Old 21st May 2006, 05:52 AM   #517
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryssen

Where did you get them?
I worked in electronic component distrubution and sales engineering for over ten years. I'm out of the loop but still I'm hooked up. Shawn.
Old 21st May 2006, 05:55 AM   #518
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Another Power Supply Board

Quote:
Originally posted by quasi
-
Hi folks,

This is another PSU PCB layout designed to make use of snap in style capacitors. It was designed to be used in the father & son construction and is posted here in case it's helpful to others.

Cheers

I want to see more about a cct protection circuit that you like? This PSU looks solid.Shawn
Old 21st May 2006, 07:20 AM   #519
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TomWaits

Like my ting says, I'm downtown TO and I like to buy local when ever I can. Local means visiting Active Surplus on Queen Street. Supremetronic on College Street now called Honson. Sayal Electronics in Scarborough and in Mississauga. More surplus at A1 Electronics. Still, you can drive to Hamilton for tube stuff from TheTubeStore.com (phone in orders in advance) I order direct from Hammond and Plitron and pick up my orders myself. Hammond has a museum to visit and they always give me a Tim Hortons coffee coupon

NOS tubes from an old TV repair guy in his 80's downtown and on the verge of selling his biz, basement used to be full of valves as the old fart loved them and couldn't part by tossing them in the garbage, the nineties hit and he's made a small fortune. Supply is running thin now and I'm certain he'll sell the building and collect his realestate millions. I went to one tube swap but it was all RF radio dudes and there was almost nothing going on regarding audio.

And of course mail order from everywhere. Duty is included when you buy from a stocking Canadian company like Solen in Quebec vs. Madisound in the U.S. The only thing I ever purchased from eBay was a laptop battery for IBM380Z and the supplier turned out to be in Ontario! Go figure?

And finally my own stash which I've been working on since I was a kid in the seventies

Happy hunting,

Shawn.
Hi Shawn,

Sorry I have been busy and for some reason the forum has not eMailed me since my last posting to this thread. I have eMail from other threads.

Thanks for the answer. I was aware from your profile at side of the postings you were downtown. Exactly why I asked. I was curious if there were some other sources that could be useful for me.

I been to A1 Electronics and really have not seen much for amp building parts use. I have been to Active for years. I sometimes find their prices much higher than "Supremetronic on College Street now called Honson" or ElectroSonic. I have made a few inquiries to Sayal Electronics, but I find they are difficult to get pricing on, and found many of their parts to be much more expensive than most other sources, even with last years exchance tates, S/H. I generally find no duty is assessed, just the usual PST/GST. I have called Plitron a couple times for quick question anout Toroids, and they have always been clear and accurate. Sadly I cannot afford buying from Plitron. Plitron is just bit out of my limited budget. Certainly Plitron has excellent product and quality.

I never knew about TubeStore.com. Next time I am in Hamilton I will check them out. I have a DL-34 and couple Dynco 70's that would be worth stocking up on some spare tubes.

Thanks again for your reply Shawn.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
21 May 2006 03:26
P.S. My appologies in advance for any typo errors. If you cannot "decode" the typo or feel there is a typo (some typos are correctly typed spelling, but can be mix of wrong/omitted words) speak up and ask me to clarify. jlm
Old 21st May 2006, 01:25 PM   #520
diyAudio Member

Default Short cct detector;

This is the idea I had for a simple short cct detector. Abnormally high currents will briefly turn on the optocoupler transistor providing a logic "low" on its collector.

This can be used to trigger other circuits, i.e. power supply disconnect, FET gate shunt, speaker disconnect etc.

My preference would be for the "low" logic pulse to apply a permanent condition forcing the amp user to power down in order to reset the system.

I decided on an optocoupler so that protection circuitry would be physically seperate from the amp. This removes the possibilty of some weird condition preventing effective operation.

Theoretical only at this stage. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf short cct detect.pdf (48.7 KB, 588 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!