Power amp under development

bigpanda said:
Hi,

About the front end getting power without going thru the fuses, is there any theory behind this? Or is that just a habit, a must or whatever? This is the kind of flexibility that I would like to know when laying the boards.

The reason is to isolate the front end from additional voltage drops created by the fuse. Also there is no point trying to protect circuitry that draws 20 or 30 milliamps with a 5 amp fuse.

Cheers
Q

Quasi Fuses

A funny thing to be aware of regarding Quasi's (rail) fuses: If they do open, the amp continues to run and it sounds like the output has been destroyed. :eek: At one point during construction I used an open fuse by mistake. It was very disheartening until I realised my error. Who can forget the the sound of an amp with dead outputs? :(

Shawn.

pcb size

Hello, I like the forum here. I am building the amp to match my 42-0-42 toroid. I am going for a 2-pair version. One thing doesn't seem to settle right, the size of the board. There doesn't seem to be any reference (a scale) on the image so I am unable to print to exact size.
Somebody help! Keypunch?

Re: Those pesky capacitors

quasi said:
Hi Duong,

Sorry I can't agree (that's ok though). The capacitors go from rail to ground so they are not in series. In series capacitors the current flows* through one capacitor and then through the other(s). This does not happen with this power supply. The current flows* through one capacitor only directly to ground.

*by current flows I mean the charging and discharging currents.

I'll send you that PCB layout.

Cheers
Q

Quasi, thanks for your explaination. Actually, I still don't understand all of these jow, but I'll try later.
Thanks again for your file, quasi, you're so kind :) .
Today I'm gonna rewind my xformer, after rewind, I will have a 500VA 57-0-57,0-15,0-15,0-15 xformer for the amp, preamp and Dc detector. More pictures soon.
Regards,
Duong.

Re: pcb size

davorinjo said:
Hello, I like the forum here. I am building the amp to match my 42-0-42 toroid. I am going for a 2-pair version. One thing doesn't seem to settle right, the size of the board. There doesn't seem to be any reference (a scale) on the image so I am unable to print to exact size.

I use Photoshop and it views 1 to 1 no worries. The six mosfet version measures 8.65" by 2.583" or 21.97cm x 6.56cm.

Shawn.

Re: pcb size

Hi davorinjo
davorinjo said:
Somebody help! Keypunch?
All PCBs in this thread are designed using Sprintlayout, so print the design file directly using "Sprintlayout viewer" (free download at http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html) will help.
If you decide to use Quasi's design, ask him, he's very kind. And if you choose my design, you can download it in post #791.
Regards,
Duong.

Re: Part 2

TomWaits said:
Duong wrote "Hi Shawn, a little question: don't you think +/-40VDC for a Quasi amp is a bit too low, and 60mF"

I am very pleased with the +/- 60VDC, 10 mosfet per channel Quasi that I just recently completed.

TomWaits said:
but I want to explore more of the spectrum that Q put up in his selection table. So I am heading to the other side of the road just to see. I don't have much concern about the small-ish rails at +/-40 VDC. I think it will operate fantastically but I will post the results as I am building it anyway.

I exaggerated the power supply to accommodate Mr. T's and Q's tough Soar performance criteria. I am trying to build an amp with no limitations but itself. Each channel will have it's own 400VA transformer and 60,000uF of cap. power supply. I will be using only the best components I can get my hands on. It will be a solid amp. This is my goal and remember the 10 mosfet version I have is solid. I'm just curious I guess. Furthermore, no one that I know of, has built this amp in either direction I went. I want to explore Q's amp in different ways , I guess. Perhaps I just want to be different:D but I seem to have no problem with that in every day life. ;) Your comments...

Shawn.

Hi Shawn
Now I now why you decide to build that amp, good luck with your solid amp. If there's anything interesting, tell me, I'm curious to see :).
regards,
Duong

Hi davorinjo,

Nive that you brought that up. I have never seen anyone putting scales on their pcb's except me. It makes other users easier to see if they have the iright size for the boards after the board images are transform, convert...., whatever many times. Bad habit or tradition maybe?

Re: Headphone amp

TomWaits said:

Very interesting. What is the impedance of the 340/350 stage? BTW R21 confuses me?

Shawn.

The impedance of the 3rd stage is limited only by the 3 resistors.

R21 is there to force a degree of symmetry at clipping. It only offers a partial solution to cater for varying gate drive requirements (i.e. driving into different speaker loads). As mentioned earlier in this thread avoiding the assymetric clipping problem with this circuit is not possible without significant changes. In practical terms this "problem" is irrelevant.

Cheers
Q

bigpanda said:
Hi davorinjo,

Nive that you brought that up. I have never seen anyone putting scales on their pcb's except me. It makes other users easier to see if they have the iright size for the boards after the board images are transform, convert...., whatever many times. Bad habit or tradition maybe?

Yes, I saw it on Albert Kreuzer site and I think it is usefull even for printing from different machines.
I think mine will turn out fine, it measures right on my printer anyway.

Questions

Hi quasi, I have another questions:
1. In your softstart circuit, if I want to use 12V relay, what do I have to change?
2. Must I use a seperate xformer for the softstart circuit, or can I use the 0-15VAC line from main xformer?
3. the main line in my country is 220V, what else would be change? i read in ESP that the value of the 5W resistors depends on ac the main line and power rate of main xformer.
Thanks, quasi.

You can use a relay rated to the voltage you are going to run the soft-start board at. Ie; you can run the board at 12 volts and use a 12 volt relay. Your timing will change though and with a 12 volt supply it will be longer. You can fix this by changing the charging resistor.

Or you can run the board off 24v DC and put a resistor in series with the relay coil. To halve the available voltage the resistor value should be about the same as the relay coil resistance.

You cannot use the secondary of the same transformer for this circuit because the transformer voltage will rise slowly and may never get to the voltage required by the slow start circuit before the resistors burn out (a few seconds). There are other ways of using the transformer secondary and I'll send something tonight (I'm at work now).

The values in the posted circuit will work fine for a 220v AC supply.

Cheers
Q

Umm ...why am I doing all the work here ? ...feel free to contribute anyone .....anyone??? hello...hello...... is this thing on? hello ?

Quasi, thanks for your help!
Now I'm looking for a small transformer for the softstart circuit, I use 12V relay, so the the transformer should be 12VAC, right? Is it better if I use a bit higher Dc voltage for that circuit, such as 15VDC?
I found that your DC detector is quite identical to the one from Silicon Chip, except some small change, I think it's because SC use 12V relay, I'll post that schematic later.
There are other ways of using the transformer secondary and I'll send something tonight (I'm at work now).
I'm waiting for your work, Quasi :)

quasi said:
There are other ways of using the transformer secondary and I'll send something tonight (I'm at work now).

The days a very long this side of the world....here it is finally.

This circuit can be adapted to run of the 15v windings.

Cheers
Q

Attachments

• simple soft start.gif
    simple soft start.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,103