Big Monoblocks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It’s time…

I've been following threads like 'The Pass Monster' and have been thinking it’s about time I started designing and building a pair of silly-big monoblocks. I’d prefer to fully utilize a pair of 220V, 50A outlets, so something in the range of 10KW per channel would be nice.

I’d love to collaborate with a seasoned amplifier DIY’er or even a professional. I have significant engineering experience with software, firmware, power electronics, digital circuit design, DSP, analog (video) electronics, and safety & compliance engineering. What I would REALLY like to do is to strengthen my audio (analog) design abilities. For some reason (paycheck?) I’ve never been able to work it into my career path.

If anyone on the Central California Coast wants to collaborate at my shop on a couple sets of silly-big amps, I’m willing to make available a bunch of capacitors, a few more capacitors, 5 & 10 KVA trafos, heatsinks, hundreds of IGBT / Darlington / MOSFET power modules, some really big rectifiers, and lots of little parts. Heck, I’ll even clean up my tools and clear space on a workbench. I realize my location constraint will greatly limit the ability of most (or all) folks who’d be interested, but I gotta try!

PS: I am working on a special loudspeaker motorthat could make great use of the horsepower…

-Casey Walsh

K-amps: “…drooling…” I’ll get out the mop.:D

Elso Kwak: “…Fairy Tales …” It’s a recurring theme in our household.:djinn:

Leeuwarden: “…small box…” Film capacitors (after all, it IS in the capacitor department).:spin:

Leeuwarden: “…www…” The goal was to have a very LOW MAINTENANCE web presence.:)

-Casey Walsh

SmarmyDog said:
It’s time…

I've been following threads like 'The Pass Monster' and have been thinking it’s about time I started designing and building a pair of silly-big monoblocks. I’d prefer to fully utilize a pair of 220V, 50A outlets, so something in the range of 10KW per channel would be nice.

If anyone on the Central California Coast wants to collaborate at my shop....

-Casey Walsh

wow, WOW, WOOOOOOOWWWWW!

What a fun shop you have! OHHHH I could get into some serious trouble there for sure!!! hahahahaha

I really wish I was on the west coast. Unfortunately I am stuck in the soon to be frozen land of MINNESNOWTA!!!!

I am curious what in the world you do that you would have such a fantastic collection of transformers BIG, BIGGER and small??? And what a mondo collection of capacitors!!!

Cant wait to see what you come up with!!!

Zero :cool:

Hey Zero Cool: Do you REALLY need an excuse to move from MINNESNOWTA :cold: to sunny California :cool:? Did I mention the shop is two block from the beach?

Yes, I do have lots of stuff, but I’m at the point in my life where collecting cool things is beginning to give way to feeling the need to ‘lighten my load’. OMG, am I getting OLD :geezer:? Anyway, I will be selling things off over the next year so I’ll let the list know first.

I just remembered I have a few cases of these VU meters, a bunch of these really big IGBT’s (for PFC power supplies?), and some other pertinent stuff . Maybe I should target 1KW per block with 6db of headroom. I’ve got boxes full of Vicor power supplies (up to 600W per little brick) that could be used for the regulated power rails if the switching noise could be kept at bay.

Obviously I have more enthusiasm that direction right now.

Still looking for a local-ish partner in crime…

-Casey Walsh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.