transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Never never never transformer couple within a solid state amp.

All the benefits gained for the solid state architecture (slew, speed, noise, distortion, frequency response) will be compromised.

This is why you don't find them in commercial solid state amps / pre-amps.

All transformers exhibit a frequency dependant impedance. This makes them very useful in power supplies but not in audio.

Except maybe the design from Susan Parker with the mosfet -transformer coupled output. I personally don't like the idea but it's a different approach that is interesting and well suited to complex loads ie; very long multiple speaker runs. (Outside the scope of this thread).

The only reason they are used in valve amps is to isolated the speakers (and people) from the stupid voltages inside.

quasi said:
Never never never transformer couple within a solid state amp.

All the benefits gained for the solid state architecture (slew, speed, noise, distortion, frequency response) will be compromised.

This is why you don't find them in commercial solid state amps / pre-amps.

All transformers exhibit a frequency dependant impedance. This makes them very useful in power supplies but not in audio.

Except maybe the design from Susan Parker with the mosfet -transformer coupled output. I personally don't like the idea but it's a different approach that is interesting and well suited to complex loads ie; very long multiple speaker runs. (Outside the scope of this thread).

The only reason they are used in valve amps is to isolated the speakers (and people) from the stupid voltages inside.
Well, you obviously never heard of Steve Eddy...... :clown:
http://www.q-audio.com/

Well, you obviously never heard of Steve Eddy......

This is a commercial marketing site not a research site.

With respect, I don't pay any attention to marketers. (in audio anyway).

Still I'd be interested to see how you can get get 0.25 hz through a transformer that is smaller than my car ...There is probably a lot of other stuff in there (at least I hope there is).

Never heard of Jeff Rowland either.

"the Rowland Model 2 is unusual in having transformers in the signal path on the input side. "

" From the reviewer’s perspective, the best situation is one in which the component sounds so good right off the bat that there’s little or no need for tweaking or substitution of components. This was the case with the Rowland Model 2. "

" my immediate impression was of a level of detail and transparency that went beyond anything I had heard previously in my system. It was an impression that was to persist throughout the extended evaluation period. "

"Throughout the entire range, but especially in the highs, the Model 2 had stunning transparency, providing resolution of detail but adding little sound of its own. In fact, the aspect of the Model 2's performance that impressed me the most was its resolution. "

http://www.jeffrowland.com/review34a.htm

"Super-wide passband. Like most any high-end audio amplifying stages, these transformers have a few extra octaves of frequency response at each end. That’s 0.5Hz to 180KHz! "

http://www.jeffrowland.com/transfor.htm

Low Frequency -3dB point

quasi said:
Well, you obviously never heard of Steve Eddy......

This is a commercial marketing site not a research site.

With respect, I don't pay any attention to marketers. (in audio anyway).

Still I'd be interested to see how you can get get 0.25 hz through a transformer that is smaller than my car ...There is probably a lot of other stuff in there (at least I hope there is).

Actually the -3dB point IS at about 0.25Hz in the frequency response graph on Steve Eddy's site. If you still do not believe me you can check the datasheet of the Jensen JT-11P-1 transformer used in the design here:
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/11p1.pdf
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• graph1.jpg
    graph1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 146
Hmm ...nothing here about interstage coupling.

I need to see some circuits to verify the claims ....this is after all another marketing site similar to many of the HIFI magazines which frankly overuse scientific terms to confuse basic concepts.

I note that some input devices like my very expensive AKG microphone of yesteryear has transformer coupling built in ...but this is microvolts stuff and designed in part to compensate for the active element. This mike goes down to 20hz @ -2db (it is an excellent microphone after all).

But 0.5 hz or 0.25 hz. I hold; at $6K US, there's gotta be other stuff around these transformers (or at least I hope there is).

Never heard of Jeff Rowland either.

Actually the -3dB point IS at about 0.25Hz in the frequency response graph on Steve Eddy's site.

Did you read the little lable on the graph. Hope this definition of
augment helps.

\Aug*ment"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Augmented; p. pr. & vb. n. Augmenting.] [L. augmentare, fr. augmentum an increase, fr. augere to increase; perh. akin to Gr. ?, ?, E. wax, v., and eke, v.: cf. F. augmenter.] 1. To enlarge or increase in size, amount, or degree; to swell; to make bigger; as, to augment an army by re["e]forcements; rain augments a stream; impatience augments an evil.

Sorry this chart is irrelevant.

I rest my case and leave it to Steve Eddy to elaborate.

Aaaah. Thanks I now see the area of confusion. This transformer is specifically designed for balanced inputs ( 3 wires).

This is a completely different kettle of fish and has to do with inputs of balanced sources.

This thread is about using transformers for interstage coupling within pre-amps and amps. Eg; after the input stage and say the driver stage.

This is a stupid question, :xeye: but here goes.
If the transformer is driving an impeadence that is inversly proportional to frequency, by matching the semilog curves to that of the transformer frequency responce(& impeadence), can the lower freq. responce be enhanced?
Or will this just screw up the phase of the output because of capacitance loading?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.