Dynaco 120, can you tell me some about the "sonic" qualities

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An this one, the eldest one is my passion

People say that son is all the same....i love them the same.

Well, i love all them...but this one, bring my lost mother alive again....sorry, but i prefer this one.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• larissa.jpg
    larissa.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 255
off and on topic

first:parts for st-120. super or medium quality amp, i would / need an amp and have no money to buy onme, esp a poor but expensive new amp. I have a sheet with the TIP modification., ( also 2n3773's)
audio components are not sold here in the pennsylvania hills.

second, and the part you didn't under stand,
A friend of mine is not good - looking, but his daughter is really beautiful, even smart. she is a doctor.
I say hmm, it must have skipped a generation, she didn't get it from you, possibly from your wife or your mother!

I see from some of your comments that i must be PLAIN
and not subtle as english is not your first or even second language.

not a negative thing, most people hare speak only english.
we know someone who has a german name and is married to a ukranian woman.. he seems to speak several languages,
but he is unsusual . but also he does not have a brooklyn ( ny) accent) surprising. despite being raised there.

Good looking kids there Carlos, any audio nuts among them?

Someone asked about 120 mods, so I dug out the ole note folder. I made a slight mistake on the transistors used in the very first 120's. The original ST-120 which was released in 1967 and sold only as a factory wired unit came with selected RCA 2N4347 output transistors. I don't have one of these in my collection as of yet.

Dynaco made several output transistor changes in rapid succession moving to the 3055H and then to the 3772.

Dynaco also upgraded their driver stage and subsequently published that design as the "TIP mod" Replacing the 5320 and 5322 driver transistors with TIP 31 and 32. I have a copy of the dyna published mod, but I think it's also available on the web.

I also have a bunch of notes on things to do to keep the drivers from oscillating and wiping out the finals. This was a problem with the earlier units, most of which was corrected by the time of the TIP mod. And it's addressed in the TIP mod.

The power supplies in most of the 120's I've played with seem to be problematic, which leads to output and driver transistor failure. The power supply mod I like was published by Frank Van Alstine in one of his newsletters or columns in the early 80's, August 1984 I believe. This mod does away with the troublesome regulator driver circuit comprised of the dynaco matched set of 2N4037, 5320 and either a 3055 or 4347 output, and replaces them with a single mosfet, either a 2SK133, 134 or 135.

You might also do a search on Frank Van Alstine's articles/columns/mods, or just on Frank. My stuff is all photocopies from magazines, but someone told me awhile back his stuff was on the web now.

The first of the two mosfet mods I've played with was published in the March 92 issue of Audio Amateur by Ken Miller using 2SK135 and 2SJ50 mosfets. Rodney Cavin published a second version mosfet mod in Feb. 99 Audio Electronics using 2SK1058 and 2SJ162 mosfet outputs. I've built both versions.

In one of my units I used the Van Alstine mosfet supply and the 2N3440/2N5416 drivers and the 2N5630 outputs from the Dyna ST-400 with excellent success.

I started playing with these originally because they were cheap and easy to aquire, not to mention a piece of history and since they built over 100,000 of them plentiful. Not so anymore it seems everybody wants one, the going price on ebay these days seems a bit high for my frugal nature.

And as a possible note of interest, one of the preamps I like to use with these is a Dyna PAT-4 which has been reworked using a mod Van Alstine published back in 86. Amazing difference.

mike

SOnic Frontiers Upgrades for ST-120

In '90 I had the 120 circuit 'revitalised by yhe people at Sonic Frontiers.. (for Free :) Basically a Parts swap, a few Value changes and a whole lot of Bypassing... the result was Serious improvement. (have Parts list/instructions if someone is Serious

Bare-- I would be interested in looking at the Sonic Frontiers upgrade instructions and parts for the ST-120

Epupa, dangerous question, i will try to answer without beeing too much rude.

Beeing kind, beeing gentle, beeing humble, going very slow, using all your feelings, remenber that your wife is also a friend and a mother to you, think that she gave you sons, loosing half or her beauty to do that, perceive that she is always concerned about you, even when she is nervous, she is trying to fix some defects she found in you...always watching the best for you and for the family...she always put herself in the last position, the last to receive her attention is herself.

If you watch your wife this way, if you try to see those qualities that they usually have (unless you leave with a men...ahahahaha!)...will be very easy, dear Epupa, even beeing ugly, to have wonderfull childrens....just stay listening music near her.... a calm and cold nigth.... hold her inside your arms...give her a friendly hug.... the rest, the nature will drive you into the rigth direction (if not a men...ahahahaha!...well, there are guys that prefere to be scratched by beard...aaaagh!...vomit!)

........................................................................................................

Dear Stillforgiven....you have an explendid smile, you may have a lot of friends, if not...go outside and start to smile and you will see the result...no!...will not be arrested by suspections to be crazy or something.... people will be interested in you only!

I have a notice for you....she is Latin...second or third generation of imported woman.... body temperature is higher than your body temperature, and there are differences in shape too...she is kind and think about the family all life time, can be nervous and scream very loud when not loved in the correct amount, or loosing respect for her she will turn something alike a female tiger... the hair is stretched, have guaranteed latin roots, and distant black roots too...welcome to the mix world man!.... your son looks alike a Mexican...he is very pretty boy...your daugther...well....well...well.... no word to classified...beautifull is something very small and weak to say about her...congratulations.

The beauty, the green eyes beauty is not my really daugther, was from my wife first marriage,the guy returned to Venezuela and let her alone with the daugther....i was also alone...and i think:

- "thank you man!...I will receive a pretty woman and an extra daugther as a gift.... let's go!"

..........................................................................................................
Rickrob
Widegroot
Vmike

Very nice comments about the thread subject...we made a break,and we will return into the rails again.

Good to know the upgrades made, give us more informs, schematics and your feelings about the upgrade results...have you upgrade one single channel and compared it to the other one, the standard one, to have sure the result was good?
.........................................................................................................

By the way, someone asked..... yes...the eldest one is interested in electronic, mechanics and all kind of sciences...she is always attached to me... sitted at my side, i use to read the forum comments, she is something alike our best friend...i love this one deeply.

You could see, my daugther is ligth brown alike i am.... but this is some sunligth that generates that color....beeing out of sun,we turn more white...but not white as a swedish guy...we are mixed by many people...Indians, Negro, Italian, Spanish,Portuguese and holland...and those sons, the ones you see together in the same picture, the girl had my color and the boy is my Dennmark wife copy.

The esdest one, have a Spanish mother, she born as a result of a first Spanish generation in Brazil....and the small girl looks alike my mother....this one i love her three times, one time because my friend, the second because remember my mum face, and third because my Spanish beauty produced her...hehe... Spanish beauty dance to me...hitting the feet over the floor...with rounded and enormous red dress and she make wonderfull movements with the arms....yeah!...i feel good...naturally (very snobish....ahahaha...i beg your pardon!)

.......................................................................................................

I want to see schematics...or some pictures...if not...moderators will "thump"...close the thread.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• pretty.jpg
    pretty.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 188
Sorry, to the ones not surrounded by beauties.

And i am very sorry because the girls that have beauty.

But really, beauty is something very nice to watch.

Of course, internal values are better values...my girls have both!

ahahahha...humble?....maybe, but not related my girls...my Harém!

Those green eyes can be common in your land..here is very difficult to find someone with dark hairs and green or blue eyes... also the thick lips and long Inca old Indians long nose...the nose is an ancestor accent, from the old civilization we had in America.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• beautifull.jpg
    beautifull.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 205
Good to know the upgrades made, give us more informs, schematics and your feelings about the upgrade results...have you upgrade one single channel and compared it to the other one, the standard one, to have sure the result was good?

Each of the differing upgrades or changes made a sonic improvement. The 120 always had what I term as the "transistor amp" sound. Many of the solid state amps I have from that era have that sort of harsh grating sound to them, fatiguing to listen to for very long. As opposed to the RRFMSOT (Rich Round Foggy Mellow Sound Of Tubes) that the tube amps of the era had. The mosfet upgrade seems to make the most listenable difference, takes the harshness away immediatly. The changes in the power supplies and the replacement of the drivers with the "TIP mod" also help. The replacement of the transistors with those used in the 400 sounds good also. I generally like to use my modified PAT-4 and my Bozak B-210s to listen to the 120s, but I've also compared them through my infinate baffle Wolverines, my Sweet Sixteens and a set of AR bookshelf speakers, with the Marantz 3000 series preamp and the Phase Linear preamp. Oh, and LPs on the B&O 4000. I have never modified just one channel at a time, always the whole amp, then compare amp to amp. I also have un-modified amps I've compared them against. The Marantz 240, the Crown D-75, the Phase Linear 200 and my Radford. I also have several solidstate Heathkit integrated amps which sound surprisingly good, I've run against them.

All of the schematics and documentation I have is on paper. Newsletters from VanAlstine, Dynaco service briefs, Audio Amateur magazine, GE transistor manuals first and fifth editions, etc.. I think you can find a lot of this stuff on line now, when I was playing with these the web was still a dream.

I'll try to get some pictures taken and post them to this thread.

It's funny, I started playing with the 120s in the 70s because there were so many broken ones I could pick up for nothing or next to it, and after I'd fix them some of them would not sound too bad but'd die soon after that. But the sound was never up to the Dynaco, Heathkit, Eico, Harmon Kardon, Sherwood tube amps in my collection at the time. I actually started my quest to make them sound good because I liked the look of the chassis. Pretty sick huh?

mike

You are very experienced, and many good equipments, a real fanatic..good!

I will be happy to read some from you about each one of those equipments you have.

Also if i could see pictures, external and internal views.

The problem is, that may be not diy.... so...here a small problem, that can be fixed if you make references to dynaco when comparing each one.

And if you have made modifications inside your units, this is also diy audio, and we will have room enougth to talk about all them.

It is interesting your equipments, so, you may have big experience to share.

I will be happy to see some coments here..but remenber to use the Dynaco sound as a reference.

regards,

Carlos

I didn't know MOSFET upgrades were available for the 120. Any ideas where I can find this information?

Someone said in an earlier post that Sonic Fontiers has an upgrade that uses a lot of bypass caps-- I'd like to see that one as well.

I've rebuilt three 120's recently -- all new electrolytics including the large can coupling caps and power supply caps, and I remove the Tantalum input cap and replace with an EL as well. They all have the TIP mods.

I'll post a pic later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.