Extra power transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two Hafler power trannies that I bought because a tech told me that mine were bad in my two Hafler P230's. It turned out to be the Filter caps instead. So, now I have these two brand new trannies and I'm wondering if they will be of use to me now that I want to learn to build DIY amps. It seems like most of what I read tends to lean more to toroids rather than iron. Is it worth my while to hang onto these?

Thanks Terry

Toroids are in fashion right now, for a few reasons

They will supply the same volts as a big square hunk of iron, wound properly.

If you have a good new transformer that will suit your application with regards to power and output voltages, you either are nuts or have too much money if you want to replace it with a toroid.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Terry,
Keep them for a pair of big power amps that you will build later. I'm very sorry a technician misled you. Another useful thing you can make is a variable (not regulated) DC power supply with bipolar outputs. I use onr for testing and experimenting. Very useful. Put a variac in the primary to adjust the output voltage.
-Chris

Stocker said:
Toroids are in fashion right now, for a few reasons

They will supply the same volts as a big square hunk of iron, wound properly.

If you have a good new transformer that will suit your application with regards to power and output voltages, you either are nuts or have too much money if you want to replace it with a toroid.

Awesome, That's what I was hoping.

Now to find a stellar amp design to build that can take advantage of my trannies. :D

Blessings, Terry

anatech said:
Hey Terry,
Keep them for a pair of big power amps that you will build later. I'm very sorry a technician misled you. Another useful thing you can make is a variable (not regulated) DC power supply with bipolar outputs. I use onr for testing and experimenting. Very useful. Put a variac in the primary to adjust the output voltage.
-Chris

Thanks Chris,

That sounds interesting. I'll look into that.

Blessings, Terry

If it helps at all, I have an idea for *my* beast of a transformer:

If you are familiar with the projects from Elliot Sound Products, this will make sense, otherwise I encourage you to do a great deal of research...there are LOTS of good designs floating around here and other websites.

My big idea, if not for a bench power supply, is to make an ESP Project 68 subwoofer amp, high-power version. Combine it with his clipping indicator, and his low frequency equalization circuit for subwoofers in tiny tiny tiny boxes. Combine with a high-power, very high excursion sub and bingo you have a killer home theater/ stereo subwoofer.

My own transformer is oversized even for that application in my opinion, so I am considering also making at least one set of lower power channels for the "highs" and maybe putting the whole shebang in a single box...

oh, to have the time, money and inclination all at the same time... :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.