High powered amp suggestions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I’m getting 1 maybe 2 15” mtx thunder 9500 sub(s) and I need a high powered amp about 1kw rms @ 4 ohms to run the sub *for home use*; any suggestions?
What about the amp that the Aussieamps guy has made?

@ Aussieamps
Can I get a pre-etched pcb?
Where can I get the parts list?
Or is the amp still undergoing testing?

Thanks

You really want to build that amp?

$398.80 USD will get you a plate amp from:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/
showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-808

# High power Class AB output stage
# Full parametric bass EQ
# Phase reversal switch
# Auto On/Off
# Toroidal power supply transformer
# Power output: 512 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, 1024 watts RMS @ 4 ohms
# S/N ratio: 98 dB (A-weighted)
# Low-pass crossover: 30 - 200 Hz, 24 dB/octave
# Auto On/Off

The low end at 30 Hz is not so great on this amp tho.
And you would miss all the fun of building it.

Prosit

Good old American greenback dollars.
George Washington on the $1 bill,
Abraham Lincoln on the $5 bill,
Alexander Hamilton on the $10 bill,
Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill,
Ulysses S. Grant on the $50 bill,
Benjamin Franklin on the $100 bill.

And now for the quiz.
Which of them was not a President of the US of A?
(Clue......only four were)

Circlotron, yur makin some fun at yur mate ain't yuh?
Not a fair quiz for you. Most Americans can't tell you
what the 2 non presidents are famous for .
Altho one of them is a famous kite flyer.

Prosit

A second-hand pro amp is something else to consider (try music stores and pawn shops), or even a new Behringer. Once you price out transformers, caps and heat sinks and chassis, the made-in-China Behringer amps look like real bargains.

The EP2500 may actually be too much power, but it's less than $400 US. Or there's the EP1500: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHEP1500
I don't know if the U.S. amps can be easily wired for 220V/50Hz, if that's what you use in Australia. Zzounds doesn't ship outside the U.S., but there's some vendors on Ebay that will:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23787&item=3754234719&rd=1

Of course, shipping and customs will add up to an unpleasant sum for something as expensive and heavy as a power amp...

Behringer has a poor reputation in the pro field. Running one at 4 ohm bridged isn't recommended. Personally, I would use a QSC RMX (esp the HD models which can handle 4 ohm bridged) or PLX amps.

If you have serious cash, there are a lot of great, powerful sub amps that would be killer at home, for example the Crown I-Tech, Powersoft Digam K-series, QSC powerlight, etc etc

"The low end at 30 Hz is not so great on this amp tho"

30hz is the lowest frequency the crossover may be set to, you need to crossover lower than 30hz?

This amp is on sale for $349, and has class D efficency due to the tracking power supply (switching).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.