how to compensate diffrence in amp gains in 3-amp system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2004, 11:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question how to compensate diffrence in amp gains in 3-amp system

I will appreciate your advise on what are the practical steps to do this task. The amps I use have gains of 63 (The END, LC Audio) and 32 (Thel Accusound). I know what to do in principle but am interested on details, e.g.:

1) what signal I have to use at the input of the active XO (from what source, e.g. test CD, white noise...?) so that the three ways should pass identical levels of output and then I can measure the V at the amp outputs, to be made (the volts) equal for each amp via adjusting the XO output trims.

2) Are there alternatives? (I don't have an osciloscope and hope the adjustment could be done with what I have (multimeter, test CD, ears...)

many thanks for your insights!
Old 14th October 2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Set the XO aside and just feed each input with a 1 kHz sine wave and measure the output voltage with a volt meter. Adjust each amp level control to get the same reading on the meter.
Old 14th October 2004, 03:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I was talking about a signal through the XO because my amps do not have volume controls while the XO has trimers at its output. Any idea how to set these trimer pots?
Old 15th October 2004, 08:27 AM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

With your ears. It would be pointless setting the voltage at the speaker terminals all the same anyway as the different drivers will have different sensitivities and efficiencies.
Old 15th October 2004, 09:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is not good to use different amps for active crossover. By my experiences best results are only with the same amps.
Old 15th October 2004, 09:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Upupa, I see your point but disagree. My research has made me believe that you have to combine amps that are particularly good at the respective frequency ranges and this is what I did.
Old 15th October 2004, 09:53 AM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I agree, select the amps that best suit the frequency range and accept a bit of resetting to equalise volume due to different gains and sensitivities. In the extreme you might use tubes for the treble, class A solid state for mid & class AB for the bass. Not just differnt makes but a whole different philosophy. The problem might be finding a set of matching (nice sounding) amps to experiment with.
Old 15th October 2004, 10:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm standing along by my words , but I don't take your opinions - judgement will be only our common listening, which is probably rather notreal .

Hide this!Advertise here!