how to compensate diffrence in amp gains in 3-amp system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will appreciate your advise on what are the practical steps to do this task. The amps I use have gains of 63 (The END, LC Audio) and 32 (Thel Accusound). I know what to do in principle but am interested on details, e.g.:

1) what signal I have to use at the input of the active XO (from what source, e.g. test CD, white noise...?) so that the three ways should pass identical levels of output and then I can measure the V at the amp outputs, to be made (the volts) equal for each amp via adjusting the XO output trims.

2) Are there alternatives? (I don't have an osciloscope and hope the adjustment could be done with what I have (multimeter, test CD, ears...)

many thanks for your insights!

I agree, select the amps that best suit the frequency range and accept a bit of resetting to equalise volume due to different gains and sensitivities. In the extreme you might use tubes for the treble, class A solid state for mid & class AB for the bass. Not just differnt makes but a whole different philosophy. The problem might be finding a set of matching (nice sounding) amps to experiment with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.