Capacitor Sound Quality - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2002, 09:31 AM   #11
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fmak

There is no need to go blind if the difference is so pronounced as I have found. There is plenty of evidence since the Jung article years ago that capacitor sound IS THERE. See also Colloms on the latest HFN.
I go for the same line as cocolino, can't you tell in a blind test by 80-90%, you have no real difference (for the program material you've listened to, I must add), but a MINOR difference maybe.

Quote:

If you can't hear differences, why bother to improve designs? What is the yardstick other than theoretical advantages or no measurable difference??
There you hit the hammer on the nail (is it right in english? ) "Där slog du huvudet på spiken" if you talk swedish. Why improve CD when <0,1% of all recordings need only vinyl or cassette quality? Why do amatuers need 192 kSp when pros feel 96 kSp is sufficient?
I have the answer,

some people want to make money and then you have to come up with something NEW!

I suspect that you have more problems with 192 kSp because of emission and problems with speed in analog circuits. I don't know that but I suspect that.

Quote:

Just to show I am not a nut, I am professionally qualified in acoustics and control and instrumentation. However, I do trust my ears, having done the mesurements.
I don't regard you as a nut. It's refreshing with peolpe who feels something or have point of views.
Old 26th June 2002, 04:14 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by peranders
[B]

some people want to make money and then you have to come up with something NEW!

I suspect that you have more problems with 192 kSp because of emission and problems with speed in analog circuits. I don't know that but I suspect that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
There are some who want to stay with the present. With an open mind, you will find 192 DVDA and SACD way better than CD with the brickwall filter. Hence my attempts to improve SACD. Many will agree with me and many with you, I suppose.

I have learnt over the years to trust value judgements, not imperfect equations and deductions.
Old 26th June 2002, 04:33 PM   #13
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

fmak, when you say the styrene measured well, did you find the impedance vs. frequency graph for it? I ask because the small FKP capacitors have really excellant high-frequency performance, and used in a low-pass filter this can have a profound effect on how much HF hash is rejected.
Old 26th June 2002, 05:29 PM   #14
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:

There are some who want to stay with the present. With an open mind, you will find 192 DVDA and SACD way better than CD with the brickwall filter. Hence my attempts to improve SACD. Many will agree with me and many with you, I suppose.

I have learnt over the years to trust value judgements, not imperfect equations and deductions.
I am keen on new cool things but also, some things aren't better or worth paying for. If you talk new techology, is MP3 a good thing?

Don't you agree that many many recordnings are medium to really bad? Why do we need 192 if the recordning is bad(note I didn't say the music)? In my collection of 700 CD fewer than 50 have really high audio quality. No offence americans but _very_ few of them are american! Lot's of analog tapes with high noise and distorsion. Danish, german, english and swedish recordnings have usually high quality. I hope my last statement will be good fuel for a debate.
Old 26th June 2002, 06:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

There is an interesting artical in July 2002 of Electronics world on the subject of capacitor sound.
zapel.
Old 26th June 2002, 07:29 PM   #16
The one and only

Thanks for correcting my spelling of Trockenbeerenauslese.
It has been 30 years since I took enology at Davis.
Old 26th June 2002, 10:27 PM   #17
Nicwix is offline Nicwix  Australia
diyAudio Member

Oh, I've learnt some new words ...

Trockenbeerenauslese. German In the Qualitätswein mit Prädikat category of German white wines, as described by German wine law, this wine is made from the ripest grapes and so is the most rare, rich and expensive. It is made from the selected harvest (auslese) of individually picked grapes (beeren) that have been dried up (trocken) by noble rot, resulting in a wine that is richly sweet and deep gold in colour. The difficulty and risk of producing these wines, along with their exceptional quality, make them among the most expensive and highly prized wines in the world.

enology. The study of wine and the making of wine; viticulture. [Greek oinos, wine + –LOGY.]

Davis. A city of central California west of Sacramento?
Old 27th June 2002, 07:19 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil
There is an interesting artical in July 2002 of Electronics world on the subject of capacitor sound.
zapel.
------------------------------

Yes, but this is actually about capacitor distortion. The interesting aspect is that some samples of ceramics distort badly even though others of the same don't. There is no reference to the memory effect which is significant.

Hide this!Advertise here!