Zero Feedback Impedance Amplifiers

jkeny said:

I had intended to run off 12V SLA battery anyway (PSRR of design is low or undetermined I think - so quality PS is necessary for quality performance).

I don't know what the power from this setup will be but SI T-amp is loud enough for me even with Rogers LS3/5A ineffecient speakers.

John

actually the PSRR of this cct is excellent - so power supply can be very simple - but battery should also be fine. Actually SLA batteries are not very quiet but with this design it does not really matter ... :)

don't forget a fuse ! :hot: !

mike

jkeny said:

I had intended to run off 12V SLA battery anyway (PSRR of design is low or undetermined I think - so quality PS is necessary for quality performance).

I don't know what the power from this setup will be but SI T-amp is loud enough for me even with Rogers LS3/5A ineffecient speakers.

John

Assuming a minimum output of 20V PP and a 1:1 OPT, that would give you about 7V rms, so about 6 watts into 8 ohms. In the original Zeus, best distortion performance was with the 4:1 OPT, a little less with the 2:1. Don't know if she showed 1:1, but you might ask.

Sheldon

edit: Oops, forgot the negative rail myself. At 1:1 power would be about 25 watts, 6 watts for 2:1.

Sheldon said:

In the original Zeus, best distortion performance was with the 4:1 OPT, a little less with the 2:1. Don't know if she showed 1:1, but you might ask.
Sheldon

Yes this is true - but in spice experiments I found if you lower the power supply voltage and increase standing the current using the o/p transformer for reducing distortion seems to be unecessary - the transformer may have other advantages but I think distortion reduction is not one of them in these circumstances.

an o/p choke of course is still absolutely essential

mike

suiraMB said:

The LU1014D have an Rds(on) of 0.007 Ohm, so they should fit that criteria very well.

They have a very low gate charge (~10nC), and ~1nF capacitance, which should allow for very good high frequency response and slew rate. In fact, parasitic capacitances in the secondary winding of the input transformer may very well swamp the JFET parasitics.

Finally, with regards to component requirements, they are depletion mode devices. You do not need a positive gate voltage to drive them. Also, being JFETs, they are less sensitive to static discharge and such, so you could simply connect a center tapped input transformer to the gates and the negative rail, for a grand total of 2 transformers and 2 semiconductors.

The simplest way to bias them, is to make sure the transformer primaries have a sufficiently high primary DC impedance; this is just like cathode biasing a valve. You need to develop this negative gate voltage, because they will give you 25 amps at 0Vgs with a 1V supply.

With a transconductance on the order of ~20S at low voltages and a triode-like curve, the potential for low distortion should be significant. You could even use a lower voltage power supply and a step up transformer. At 1:3, you would still have a more than sufficient damping factor.

Hmm, the more I think about this, the more interesting it is. In my previous post, I referenced a discussion about variation of Crss with output and its possible effect on phase related distortion. It looks like these FET's go from about 300pf at 20Vds to 600pf at 0Vds. That's a much lower ratio than the Mosfets I've looked at, especially as Vds approachs zero (and sometimes the steep change starts at 20 or 30Vds). The tube driver I have for this has a swing of 200V and a Zout of about 8K. So I could step than down 4:1 for a 25V swing and a Zout of 500, which would give a corner frequency of 500kHz. Even with a 2:1 step down on the OPT, I'd have 6 watts or so. Should be plenty for my application. If you are right about the distortion suiraMB, it should be no problem even going 1:1. I have little concern about the output impedence as I will be using these for driving only frequencies higher than about 300Hz. The only trick would seem to be designing the OPT to give the desired bias current. That should be possible from wire resistance tables. But, the bias power would have to be dissipated by the transformer. Wouldn't it be easier just to add some series resistance and get rid of the heat there?

Thanks again,
Sheldon

If I decide to go this way, and I'm leaning hard just because it seems very cool, I'd have no problem getting some extra's and sending them along. You can help me if I do, by pointing me to the post with the latest ordering and shipping info. I looked at the GB thread and it's a long one to dig through.

Sheldon

jkeny said:
Sheldon,
Thanks, I would be delighted if you could do that.
As far as I know the info on the first post of GB thread is still current prices + shipping info http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=814387#post814387

John

I'll let you know if I go this route, and I'll try to decide soon. No big gotcha's so far? And the simple biasing scheme is very attractive. I'm very new to ss device characteristics, but it looks like these FET's have a negative temp. coefficient, so, unlike the mosfet's, no special measures are required to avoid thermal runaway. Am I reading that right? If so, that's another nice feature.

Sheldon

Sheldon said:

I'll let you know if I go this route, and I'll try to decide soon. No big gotcha's so far? And the simple biasing scheme is very attractive. I'm very new to ss device characteristics, but it looks like these FET's have a negative temp. coefficient, so, unlike the mosfet's, no special measures are required to avoid thermal runaway. Am I reading that right? If so, that's another nice feature.

Sheldon

Mosfets have a negative tempco.

Until you get them very too hot, then they give up the neg tempco idea and run away... In fact it is difficult to bias up Mosfets past a certain standing current unless you can keep them very very cool, they try to track back to where they want to sit...

_-_-bear :pawprint

Hi All,

I trust everyone is keeping well.

I have been busy with work stuff so not so much time for audio these last few months.

jkeny said:
Yep Sheldon,
Seems like these devices tick all the boxes for a nice simple circuit in a simple & unique circuit - wonder if Susan is listening in? Interesting to hear how it will sound - reports seem exemplary

John

Who - me?

wrenchone said:
The only problem with the Lovotech devices is their low breakdown voltage. This will limit the output power available unless the parts are operated as the lower half of a cascode.

I did look at these parts but as the standard mosfets are giving below 0.01% THD I didn't see the point of the additional complexity.

However I have used Supertex DN2535s for a Zeus PP line-driver

http://www.supertex.com/pdf/datasheets/DN2540.pdf

see some preliminary testing at:

http://www.audiophonics.com/audiophonics-zeus-line-driver-vmos-pp-1.html

They give good results.

Note however that the termination of X1's secondary has to be matched to the driving source impedance otherwise there can be significant HF peaking before rolloff.

This circuit always operates in Class A, so the auto bias method is okay. Voltage rating is 350 or 400 volts, so no problems here with a 24 volt supply.

The DN2535 has a max current of 500mA and 15W so would need to be paralleled up for an output stage driver. And I would not auto bias (unless always in Class A with a big step down ratio) so having to do a separate negative bias plus multiple devices somewhat increases the complexity and makes for a potential failure mode if the bias doesn't come up properly.

Using standard MOSFETS removal of the positive bias voltage effectively puts the amp into standby, which is a useful feature for energy savings when the amp is not in use.

Best wishes,
Susan.

Nice to see you here. I did try one channel with the regular Mosfets, the 801 driver, and an autoformer for the input. Got tunes out and sounded fine on a small speaker. I've got an RIAA project to finish first, but then I'll play some more with this one.

Susan-Parker said:
I did look at these parts but as the standard mosfets are giving below 0.01% THD I didn't see the point of the additional complexity.
Susan.

By added complexity, I assume you mean the cascode idea. I was thinking of trying them in a low power version as a self biased sub for a mosfet. As for the point, yes you are correct, but hey this is just for fun.

Susan-Parker said:
This circuit always operates in Class A, so the auto bias method is okay.

This amp is a little different to figure. Using the Lovaltech devices, what conditions would meet this requirement? I was looking at something on the order of 1amp bias current for a 10 volt supply and maybe a 2:1 output.

Sheldon

Hi,

Sheldon said:
Nice to see you here. I did try one channel with the regular Mosfets, the 801 driver, and an autoformer for the input. Got tunes out and sounded fine on a small speaker. I've got an RIAA project to finish first, but then I'll play some more with this one.

Thanks. Please let us know how you get on.

By added complexity, I assume you mean the cascode idea. I was thinking of trying them in a low power version as a self biased sub for a mosfet. As for the point, yes you are correct, but hey this is just for fun.

Understood. And Agreed. This is hobby and DIY and meant to be relaxing etc. with personal enjoyment, satisfaction and learning.

This amp is a little different to figure. Using the Lovaltech devices, what conditions would meet this requirement? I was looking at something on the order of 1amp bias current for a 10 volt supply and maybe a 2:1 output.
Sheldon

I would probably look at using a standard MOSFET to give a reasonably regulated 11.75 volt supply as the extra couple of volts will make a big difference to the output watts possible.

Note from my VMOS schematic that the gate zeners are reversed in polarity. And here should probably be reduced to 9 volts.

Also don't forget the current capability of the transformer windings, as with these high biases there will be some heating.

One of the problems seems to me to be the package as it isn't overly big for the types of currents and wattages proposed.

I know that it is theoretically capable of 65 watts but once one has derated at higher temperatures e.g 80 degrees C it is only about 30 watts and the package has a thermal resistance junction to case of 1.8 degrees/watt - compared to 0.69 for TO247

But high bias with low voltage is certainly one way to go.

Per STW34NB20 I use 750mA at 34 volts supply in my standard power stage.

Will be interested to hear how this version fairs.

Best wishes,
Susan.