Zero Feedback Impedance Amplifiers - Page 153 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2013, 07:26 PM   #1521
diyAudio Member

Default Space Charge

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by apelizzo View Post
I can try with DC but I try to avoid it as I prefer the valve sound with AC heater. With DC heater IMO the the cathode generates a space charge that is polarised and at the end the valve sounds dead. This is just my opinion.
Whilst space charge may have an effect on low current amplification (particularly for directly heated tubes), for an indirectly heated 6C33C running at almost 300mA on a 37 volts anode supply any effect is going to be way below the noise floor.

What is different is the AC fundamental (at 50/100 or 60/120 Hz) and it's harmonics and the intermodulation effects these have with the music, compared to a steady DC state.

That could well be audible as a difference to the sound and the lack of these intermodulation products could indeed make the sound appear less "alive".

See examples.

Best wishes,
Susan.

P.S. I am not completely convinced that there isn't a degree of thermal modulation "punch through" from the AC heaters, even on the indirectly heated ones. This is an area that I have been intending to look at, but just haven't had the time.
Old 13th April 2013, 03:51 AM   #1522
diyAudio Member

Question BiPolar Transistor Version

I'm in the process of building a transformer/transistor amp with PNP transistors simply for the reason of being able to ground the collector leads (metal tabs) to the heatsink chassis without insulators, and also for the (hopefully) simple biasing setup.

Regardless of MOSFET or Bipolar or Tubes, I'm wondering about the paths of current flow in the input transformer of the circuit. Where is the return path, the CT or from the other transistor? Could this be modified without CT? Do I need the opposing diode and capacitor to sustain signal flow if the required driving current is higher than what is provided by the biasing network?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyTransAmp.JPG (32.5 KB, 593 views)
Old 14th April 2013, 12:58 PM   #1523
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao@AltheaMusica View Post
If you have no noice, hassle with ac-filaments then it's ok and why then using dc... What core material you are using?

@Susan
We discussed in a fewer post of this thread a phono stage using interstage trannies. I have designed one in single ended with IS - trannies in the drain - and LCR-RIAA. Sounds impressive.
The core material is M6
Old 14th April 2013, 07:45 PM   #1524
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer Laminations

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by apelizzo View Post
The core material is M6
From my measurements the line driver and output transformer EI-120 size laminations with the high current low impedance drive of the followers in M6 works well.

For the 3/4" (or thereabouts) sized input and step-up transformers which are higher impedance devices I can see a measurable improvement using MuMetal laminations in the mid-band.

The LF end is not so good with MuMetal at higher levels for the power amp input transformer, but the amounts are still small compared to the loudspeaker distortions down at the LF end.

M6 is still fine to use, but if there is an option to add 50% (or 100% as I do) MuMetal for not too much extra then I would say it's certainly worth considering.

For a 5.1 or 7.1 system I would suggest that the Front Left, Front Right and Front Middle would be the ones to use MuMetal, and the other channels and the bass should be fine with M6.

Best wishes,
Susan.
Old 15th April 2013, 07:47 PM   #1525
diyAudio Member

I finished it!!!! It lives, and is loud!!!!

The Bass response is really strong, this thing plays lows with ease and really moves the speaker cone effortlessly. The highs are a bit lacking, but it plays clear, adding bias picked up the highs better some.

It plays loud on only 12V! So far I have no heat at all, it runs really cool.

I finally sourced my input transformers, I found two identical 240V/24V 30VA 50/60 Hz transformers from scrap air conditioners. I run them both in series to have a CT.

I tried using the HV (old primary) winding on the output transformer and noticed lack of frequency response and excessive current draw, so I'm using the speaker directly across the CT winding driven by the transistors. Connected direct gives good frequency response and driving capability.

I'm still tweaking the bias before I settle on a value and stick with it. I will post an updated schematic with all the parts values. I'm still having fun playing with it!!!!

May make a good PA amp for simple use........
Old 15th April 2013, 08:01 PM   #1526
diyAudio Member

Cool beans!

Have any photos you can share?

se
Old 21st April 2013, 09:19 AM   #1527
diyAudio Member

Here it is! Finally a loud and simple 12V amp that does not require an SMPS!

This is the final changes to the circuitry. Feel free to enjoy, copy, modify, or make improvements as needed. Thanks to everyone here @ diyaudio for keeping this discussion going and for the tips required to get it all right!

Also uploaded some pics. All PTP, no PCB! As you see, this is a very compact and heavy little amplifier. The output transistors are on the heatsink, concealed by the 3 transformers.
Don't mind the big ball of electric tape with the power wires, it's just covering up my 35V 4700uf Capacitor and Ferrite Toroidal DC filter.

Now about the Amp.............
Bass Response is excellent. Audio on this amplifier even seems bass-boosted.
Treble is good now, I find a trick is to put a 4.7 or 10 ohm resistor in series with input to boost upper highs.

PNP transistors work very good, screwed directly to negative-grounded heatsink with just thermal compound, no insulator required! Devices rated @ 12A, 130W each, genuine Toshiba.

This amp is STRONG! It plays 4 and 2 ohm loads with ease! Amp only gets hot playing 2 ohms, just warm with 4 or 8 ohms. Distortion comes on easy, but sounds good still unless driven to severe clipping.

Amp has High-Gain. Not much needed to get loud!

I have no problem driving asymmetrical loads. I have antiparallel LED's across the speaker output to see them light according to positive or negative swings, and lots of modern audio (esp dubstep) has signals that will drive just one of the LED's for certain notes, but the amp doesn't distort or have any trouble. I still find however, that rock music, or music with heavy guitar or drums sounds best.

Can't wait to try MOSFET on the next one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyTransAmpFINAL.JPG (56.2 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg P4200552xx.jpg (58.8 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg P4200554xx.jpg (58.7 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg P4200559xx.jpg (67.8 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg P4200560xx.jpg (70.1 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg P4200548xx.jpg (56.2 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg P4200556xx.jpg (56.7 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by EWorkshop1708; 21st April 2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: The Black Electric TAPE BLOB
Old 21st April 2013, 02:15 PM   #1528
diyAudio Member

Hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWorkshop1708 View Post
Here it is! Finally a loud and simple 12V amp that does not require an SMPS! .....
Super, great to hear your news.

Thanks for the post and the schematic and pictures.

Best wishes,
Susan.
Old 21st April 2013, 02:36 PM   #1529
diyAudio Member

HA!

Zip ties, electrical tape and wire nuts. I love it!

Good job and thanks for sharing!

se
Old 27th April 2013, 07:06 PM   #1530
diyAudio Member

Default That's pretty bad-*** man

but don't let anyone see you carrying that baby around!

Hide this!Advertise here!