Universal Tiger - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2012, 02:38 AM   #221
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

welcome......

why not post in the swap meet when you get your pictures ready? just a heads up....
Old 14th October 2012, 02:56 AM   #222
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up regarding the "swap meet". I'll check that out.
Old 14th October 2012, 03:10 AM   #223
diyAudio Moderator

no problemo...if you have some tips as to how to repair these tiger beasts, that will be most welcome.....i still have some 8pcs 40409 but just one 40410? would you happen to have some stocks left? or know where i can get them? thanks...
Old 14th October 2012, 03:05 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Here's the last 3 of some on Ebay:

Lot of 3 RCA 40410 70 Watt AB Amp Driver New | eBay
Old 14th October 2012, 06:58 PM   #225
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

I have not looked into it, but it seems silly to use the old 40409/10 combination today. It looks like they are merely lower power TO-5 cans on a heatsink, and not a higher power die... I think that if I get back to them, I'll look for complimentary devices with similar hfe & ft with a modern package but higher power and heatsink it.

_-_-bear
Old 17th October 2012, 02:34 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

I agree, but the OP wanted some. It escapes me at the moment, but I seem to remember a newer replacement that would operated without the need of an integral heat sink. Many commercial amps just use a higher power drive in a larger case such as the Sony STR-7065 I'm working on now. Ordering caps from Mouser because it has some noise on the right channel and also it's almost as old as the UT.
Old 17th October 2012, 03:08 AM   #227
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post
Here's the last 3 of some on Ebay:

Lot of 3 RCA 40410 70 Watt AB Amp Driver New | eBay
thanks, i just wanted to even out my stocks...for future projects...
Old 17th October 2012, 03:09 AM   #228
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I have not looked into it, but it seems silly to use the old 40409/10 combination today. It looks like they are merely lower power TO-5 cans on a heatsink, and not a higher power die... I think that if I get back to them, I'll look for complimentary devices with similar hfe & ft with a modern package but higher power and heatsink it.

_-_-bear
you are correct, some of us diy'ers can have silly ideas at times.... ...and crazy too....
Old 17th October 2012, 03:26 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

You could do lots better with some Fairchild TO-126 driver XSTRs readily available from Mouser. I have some 40409s and 40410s in my parts bin - they may sit there until doomsday, or maybe they're keepsakes back from the time that RCA had a semiconductor division, back before the RCA-GE-Harris-Intersil cluster****. I don't even bother to keep track anymore, though the whole mess seems to have gelled around Intersil for the time being.
Old 4th December 2012, 03:23 AM   #230
diyAudio Member

Just a few photos of mine. My father bought most of the parts for this back in '71 after the article came out. Still have the original magazine. He didn't build it until around 1986-87. Metal shop at General Motors made the case and cover. Had to replace the switch today so I took some pics of it. Just happened to google the amp and found this page...

-Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0341.jpg (606.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5084.jpg (535.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0703.jpg (577.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5063.jpg (566.2 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by swissross; 4th December 2012 at 03:47 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!