Universal Tiger - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2004, 06:12 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I have the 1973 popular electronics magazine this article was in originally and i have that audio amature article on the rebuild of a tiger, a flaming oddesy i think it was called. i will see if i can find it.

My Father built one of these years ago and it suffered badly from crossover distortion at low volumes...

The article delt mainly with 2 factors, one being that in one of the amps he rebuilt, it had half the output devices were pecor brand and the other half motorola. the pecor units are/were infieriour and would cause the amp to osccilate and blow up.

secondly there is a problem with the bias resistor stack wattage rating in the original schematic. The article calculates the load and resizes the bias resistor wattages much larger and this seemed to fix the problem.

I even remember the author talking about how he had miswired the amp accdentally during testing and the output was shorted and the amp still produced 4V across a dead short (according to the author) before it blew a supply fuse.

I remember reading all kinds of articles on these amps and it seems the designed was plagued with problems, very hard to build but way ahead of its time, for the time!

I still have a pair of brand new power supply transformers that i purchased ohhh...20 years ago with the intent of building one of these and just never got around to it....

Anybuddy want them??? i think there 56Vct but i have to look again. i have a spec sheet on them.
Old 3rd October 2004, 06:55 PM   #12
Banned

Default 1973????

Gee, that's funny. My copy says 1970. There were later versions. They all did the same thing.

Yes, for its day, it was a jump forward. After building amps now for around 35 years, I'm not so sure that the non-complimentary approach for output stages isn't so bad after all. I have heard good examples of it. True, most of them are lower power than many would prefer.

Jocko
Old 3rd October 2004, 07:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default The apocaliptic, the end of the world amplifier

My God, as you telling me this is not one amplifier, this is a terrorism bomb!

regards,

Carlos
Old 3rd October 2004, 09:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I could be wrong, it could be 1970 or maybe i have a later version???
Old 4th October 2004, 05:39 AM   #15
Banned

Default Could be either....

What does the input stage look like?? A single diff amp pair, or a complimentary diff amp pair. The former is the Universal Tiger, 1970, the latter.......I forget what it was called, but '73 sounds right.

Jocko
Old 4th October 2004, 06:12 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Single Diff front pair. Im trying find it actually at the moment....

Old 4th October 2004, 06:39 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Tiger Burnout

As has been noted by many individuals the old Tiger amps had a very bad habit of self destruction. I had built a number of these in the past and all never made it past infancy. I my opinion the Tiger amps are not worth messing with. I would not waste my time with making modifications. Perhaps some of the power supply parts are worth saving.

Johannes
Old 4th October 2004, 07:58 AM   #18
tg3 is offline tg3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Cool
I still have a pair of brand new power supply transformers that i purchased ohhh...20 years ago with the intent of building one of these and just never got around to it....

Anybuddy want them??? i think there 56Vct but i have to look again. i have a spec sheet on them.
Email me through my diyAudio account.
Old 4th October 2004, 09:57 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hummm...
I built 4 of the Universal Tigers around 1973 from kits I bought from SWTPC. My brother also built 4 (we were both bi-amping). All 8 worked great. I used mine for about 20 years. They still worked fine when I retired them. They never gave a hint of trouble. SWTPC updated them in a later version, and called them the 'Tiger .01'. I have no experience with this version. Is this the one you guys are talking about? Also, I think the 200W amp had some problems (It was called the Tigersaurous). I think I still have the amps somewhere in the garage. Switched to tubes, and retired them, but have nothing but fond memories of the UT's.
Old 5th October 2004, 12:49 AM   #20
Banned

Default That's it.......

The '73 version, with the comp diff amp, was the "Tiger .01".

Jocko

Hide this!Advertise here!