5 watts single ended amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2004, 08:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 5 watts single ended amp

this circuit i got from internet.does anybody tried this circuit.it is written that it is a 5 watts amp.but it seems to be 14 watts amp.if anybody tried this please give some informayion.
or atleast try to analyse this circuit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5watt.jpg (78.6 KB, 1471 views)
Old 2nd October 2004, 09:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Due to the resistive loading this circuit has terrible effeciency... I dunno 5% maybe? But it is minimalistic
What makes you think it is 14 watts instead of 5 watt?

If you want a minimalistic Class A design.... maybe this is something you might like....
http://www.redcircuits.com/Page80.htm
Old 3rd October 2004, 07:19 AM   #3
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

It says there that it has a 40Hz to 22KHz, -3dB frequency response. Isn't that a litle unlinear?
Old 3rd October 2004, 08:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

hai tschrama
thank you for giving me the circuit.it is looking likea small jlh amp.did you tried this circuit .how it sounds.thd seems to be very high and bandwidth is very small.what is your opinion
Old 3rd October 2004, 10:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The bandwidth quoted isn't the world, but replace a capacitor here or there and that'll be fixed.. The circuit indeed does look like a JLH 10W Class A amplifier.. being somewhat smaller and even more simple, performances have become a a little worse..

The 5watt that was posted earlie will have similar performance I think... I'll do some sumilations...
Old 3rd October 2004, 12:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

thank you for showing interest in my project.i have one more question,if i use irf 510 with 100 ohm gate resistor instead of bd 439.is it ok,because ihave lot of irf 510 in my hand
Old 3rd October 2004, 12:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

That might work... dissipation of each output transistor is about 9 Watts... at 0.7A Iq... I guess it is do-able.. but maybe IRF540 is more suiteble...
Old 3rd October 2004, 01:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The irf510 has low transductance compared to the irf540, so performace (efficinetie, THD etc) is worse... I just ran a irf540 simmulation and it is comparable to the ZEN project range....

The arangement on the schematic that I linked, is a 'pure' SE' the lower output transistor is allmost a CCS.. it might be more effecient to split the 1Ohm resistor to make it more push-pull

edit
Beware that the Iq is far less stable with IRFs that with the BJT... you need a very stable supply....

maybe if you can tell a bit more about your goal and restrictions, I can help you with a real practical circuit...
Old 3rd October 2004, 02:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

my interest is single ended 5 watts amplifier with available components.i have irf 530's and irf 510's in my stock.so i can go for that .
i want to use that amplifier for my computer.
my speakers are 10 years old celestion 6l
Old 3rd October 2004, 03:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Great... I am sure you can build something nice with that... I'll be back..

Hide this!Advertise here!