PS Audio "Gain Cell"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think these soldered pins are actually from a socket that connects the visible PCB to other PCB above it

The text and the specs make me think about some high quality VCA chips connected in series to achieve that gain range and a DC servo for DC compensation

And a lot of pseudo-science marketing...

My WAG from the typical McGowan market-speak hyperbole -
a TI THS41x1 fully differential ic (or TI's audio specific TPAwhatever) surrounded by a Wolfson WM8816 for 'non-attenuating' volume control.

Revolutionary? Hardly. But it does seem a nice approach.

'the culmination of 25 years of work...'
Possibly, but not work done by PS Audio.

jam said:
Sounds like a product to reverse engineer......................;)

Reverse engineering???? We don do no steeenk'n reverse engineering. I suggested this exact architecture to a small manufacturer about 2 years ago.

McGowan canna hep hisself, and he includes enough 'meat' in his hyperbole that if you think about it, you can suss out what he is doing.
Same goes for his 'unique' Balun, the UltraOutlet, which is simply a common mode choke.

But if I do implement the sucker using those fully differential ICs from TI, is Nelson going to come after me for violating his patents on that use of folded cascodes?

Jan,

You may well be right. But given Mr. McGowen's interesting approach to English usage, he could well argue (if indeed they're using the Wolfson) that the signal path is indeed purely analog. As the voulume and balance controls are operated via a remote control, and I see no motororized pots, I don't see it as a stretch to call it purely analog. Otherwise, he could be using a VCA, which I doubt, or simply a pga between the phases, but that might be considered 'attenuation". Dunno, but the Wolfson in conjuction with the TI THS41x1 does seem like the logical (and quite interesting) approach.

"What’s inside the Gain Cell
So revolutionary is the Gain Cell design that we’re not going to publish what’s inside nor do we intend to patent it. Instead, we have chosen to protect the technology by encasing the circuitry in non-conductive epoxy (known as potting), thus keeping our competitors completely in the dark."

Epoxy cant stop me... someone get one of these and crack it open. :smash:

btw the main chip has 16 pins, then the jumpers must be for signal/power. ?

"What’s inside the Gain Cell
So revolutionary is the Gain Cell design that we’re not going to publish what’s inside nor do we intend to patent it. Instead, we have chosen to protect the technology by encasing the circuitry in non-conductive epoxy (known as potting), thus keeping our competitors completely in the dark."

Epoxy cant stop me... someone get one of these and crack it open. :smash:

btw the main chip has 16 pins, then the jumpers must be for signal/power. ?

Sorry for digging out of the dirt such an old thread, but I have to ask...

Does anyone by now knows what is it all about?

I saw a comercial amplifier from PS audio using B&O Icepower modules with a pair of these...

Since I have two ASP1000 I would like to try these wonder gain cells to see how does it really improve the overall sound.

Or if you have any other sugestions for my input stage, they are very wellcome.

Cheers,

Tiff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.