Star ground w/ Dual capacitor banks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you start fudging this with two star points you are much more likely to introduce unwanted intermodulation noise than reduce it, unless your conductors are at -273C. There is an old thread here somewhere where I explain this in more detail

If I gave the impression that TWO star points were recommended, that was an error on my point. The only point was that the ONE star point not be located at the PS caps because that is alleged to be a noise source.

Sam,
No you didn't say that. I inferred it from imagining that the psu caps would be connected together at a point and then a wire would connect this point to the star ground point. In my book that is two star grounds, or rather one star point and one ground point that flaps around a little because of the resistance of the wire connecting the two points.

I imagine the aforementioned authors are worried about the current flows through the caps and speaker return and zobel return inducing currents in the input return. This may occur if the star is not constructed correctly. One method is to stack the ground wires with eyelets on a bolt thread starting with the high current loops and finishing with the low current loops.

I have decided to just use the 6 capacitor bank that I have already made and use a single Star Ground. This will follow Rod's design and surely work. Afterwards I'll just use some of the extra caps to create a second larger bank similar to the picture audioPT has posted above. Just so I can compare the difference the added capacitance makes. Thanks for all the help everyone. :cool:

Almost all of the parts have been received. I'll be posting picks as I go. Thanks

- Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.