Star ground w/ Dual capacitor banks - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2004, 08:41 AM   #11
sajti is offline sajti  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by traderbam
Interesting problem.
What I would do is dispense with the metal bars. Even though they are mechanically attractive. Run a separate ground wire from each cap to a central star post (could be a bolt thread). You'll need to do something similar anyhow for the + and - lines.

I don't see any sense in this.

This is not a good idea. To avoid the noise You have to separate the wire which goes to the amplifier, from the wire, which goes to the transformer.
I think the copper bar is good idea, but use the capaciotors in one group, and use one metal bar.

sajti
Old 28th September 2004, 09:06 AM   #12
zeno is offline zeno  Europe
diyAudio Member

Best option is imo two bridges, rectify each winding separately.
The ground is connected to the - of one bridge and the + of the other. That gives you + and - and 0

Each voltageline than gets half of the capacitance.

In this way, the amplifier is not directly connected to the center tap of the transformer. And you only have one transformer, since you've already purchased it.

Check http://zero-distortion.com/start.htm

Marc
Old 28th September 2004, 10:20 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is not a good idea. To avoid the noise You have to separate the wire which goes to the amplifier, from the wire, which goes to the transformer.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
Old 28th September 2004, 10:27 AM   #14
zeno is offline zeno  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by traderbam
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Check out http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ssps2_e.html

There is no direct connection between the middle of the transformer and the ground of the amp.

Two bridges, two cap banks, +/- voltage. Connect left and right channel two one power supply.
If you want the ultimate channel separation, double the transfo's, four bridges, four cap banks.
A little bit more expensive...

Marc
Old 28th September 2004, 11:25 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Yes, I understand what you are saying, Zeno, about configuring the rectifiers and dual secondaries. But I thought I was talking about something quite separate when suggesting individual ground wires to the star point.

Also, I don't understand what the "noise" related problem is when connecting the transformer centre-tap directly to the star point rather than using dual secondaries and combining +/- rectifier outputs at the star point.
Old 28th September 2004, 11:36 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

hi Killjoy99,

I'd tend to trust Rod's advice and go for 30,000uF but at least make it easy to switch from 30,000uF and 60,000uF and see what you prefer.
Old 28th September 2004, 04:08 PM   #17
audioPT is offline audioPT  Portugal
diyAudio Member

My contribution:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th September 2004, 04:26 PM   #18
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

There are a couple of sources (Slone, Self) that stongly advise against location the star gound at the PS caps. They clain this is a very noisy point in the circuit and using it as a star point risks creating a path for noise to enter the signal path.

An alternative would be to run suitable wire from the point between the caps to another point 4 or 5 inches away where you locate something such as heavy phenolitic terminal strip (or anything of similar function you find convenient). Then run wires from the power and signal grounds to the same point. This should also be used to connect the star point to earth. The idea, I think, is that the impedance to the earthing point as seen from the PS will always be less than to the PCB gound nets.

I hope I'm explaining this correctly and clearly. If not, I'm sure someone will post a claification.
Old 28th September 2004, 04:43 PM   #19
audioPT is offline audioPT  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I think I forgot to explain this:

The POINT of the cooper plate that is connected to the chassis is ONLY for the CAP's group.
The Center Tap of the Xformer and all other 'ground' wires, MUST be connected to the chassis in the same point (this is the real star ground).

This is my way to GROUND my amps

Rgds

Pedro Martins
Old 28th September 2004, 10:45 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There are a couple of sources (Slone, Self) that stongly advise against location the star gound at the PS caps.
That's enough incentive for me to put the star point as close to the psu caps as possible!

I'm not sure what they are talking about. What is absolutely crucial and the whole purpose of a star point is to avoid unwanted common loop currents within the same conductors. So all current flows that must not be shared within a common wire must be connected by separate wire to the star. All voltages are relative. So we simply define the star point to be the reference from which all other voltages are measured, including noise.

If you start fudging this with two star points you are much more likely to introduce unwanted intermodulation noise than reduce it, unless your conductors are at -273C. There is an old thread here somewhere where I explain this in more detail.

Hide this!Advertise here!