Amplifier ranking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI,

cause of finding the best diy amplifier i start this thread.

i suggest to everyone to give a ranking to the diy amps which each has build.
Perhaps other dij-ers can make better decision what to build...

My ranking:
1. JLH
2. Hiraga le monstre
3. Pass Xsoz
4. Pass Soz

please think about the fact that you can only compare amps which are equal in parts quality. a standard part quality JLH does not sound as good as a good parts quality Hiraga!

my experiences with pass amps are , that they are not so sensitive in parts-quality than other amps.

and -please do only vote for amps which you have build and heard yourself

regards,

Ralf

1. tube SE (different tubes)
2. AKSA (is no. 1 in bass)
3. JLH
4. Aleph-3 (better parts than in JLH, i dislike Aleph's soft bass)
99. gainclone (TDA2050V)

next projects:
real-X (PP)
AKSA biased for couple of watts in Class A
more tube amplifiers (SE+PP)

all amps outlined above have "crazy" power supplies and the tube amps don't have super expensive output transformers.

regards,
k

keyne said:
next projects:
AKSA biased for couple of watts in Class A

Keyne,

You might contact Hugh regarding higher bias on the output stage. The output design is similar to a Self's 'Blameless Class B', and is optomised for the tree hugging commie/pinko community.
Increased bias will not lower distortion, and (anecdotally) will not improve the sound.....

Hiragas, ZENV4`s and JLH`s.

Hi Ralf,

I feel that these amps may sound nice, but since I'm happy with my not very effecient speakers (88dB) i need more power then they are able to deliver.

The quality af an amp is (for me) not only how it sounds, but also the outputlevel and power consumption.....I dislike having an amp blasting away using 1kW just to be able to listen to music or enjoy a movie.

Therefore I look for the (to me) best sounding amp using non Class A technology.

This quest however is one of trial and error, meaning that people will be going through alot of amps before finding their favorite.

We all have different needs when we look for amps. So no reason to try and force peoples choice

All the best from Denmark

\Jens :)

Any Class, no matter

I do not see any body is forcing anything.. the thread just ask DIYers to post their personal preference of the power amplifers that one has built with their bare hands. :smash:
Not commercial products...

If you have built/clone a Byston class AB amp then list it it does not has to be a classA amp. ;)

Regards
Chris

PS. It will be interesting to see how many people like fish and chips and how many people prefer curry chicken:cool:
monkeys brain anyone?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
pmkap said:

Keyne,

You might contact Hugh regarding higher bias on the output stage. The output design is similar to a Self's 'Blameless Class B', and is optomised for the tree hugging commie/pinko community.
Increased bias will not lower distortion, and (anecdotally) will not improve the sound.....

Commie/pinko community - cheez, I thought you lot died out with improved education. You can't take anything for granted anymore.

Jan Didden

Lordy Jan....

As a self confessed tree hugger, the 'commie/pinko' appelation was intended facetiously, a self mockery that obviously put your knickers in a twist. If it offended your sensibilities, I sincerely apologize.

Living in NYC, we have the highest electrical rates in the States. I find Hugh's design to be absolutely wonderful, and its low power consuption to be an added bonus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.