Amplifier ranking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:cop: Mike, What IS your point here?

Jam had previously stated that he would be interested in a schematic offered by another member. I don't ubnderstand your point- perhaps your humor is too subtle for us.

Be that as it may, members are not allowed to directly imply
that other members have diminished intelligence

Mike, i will answer you very clearly

You are thinking if JLH is really good.

Make one, the worst schematic you find, will be the 1969 model.... awfull schematic!.....hehe...... stupid transistors..... but you can use others...use the 2N3055 and BD139 and to input some BC.....adjust it... will be funny to adjust, you touch here and misadjust there, you will be sure the amplifier is awfull, the schematic and the no precise adjustment.

But before switch it on, with music playing, ask someone to take a picture of your face expression when the amplifier start to play the clear and wonderfull sound.

Your expression will say to you, will answer all the questions you have.

ah!....before construct , find a good enclosure and the place to put your amplifier. This one will never left you.

I am making amplifiers since, exactly september 1960, capturing schematics from "Popular Electronics" and others. This is the only one i can say it is perfect!... with all the distortion the meters can show me, no trouble!, i am not one meter, i am not one scope, nor a waveform monitor, neither one spectrum analyser...i am a human and i use my years and brain with feelings to hear sound, and sometimes music (but not comon to listen music and understand what they say).

Feelings acting when perceiving things Mike.... feeling afraid with 10 to 20 hertz tone.... beeing sad with the Violin..... fun with the trumpet, .... this way.

I could find around 6 Special amplifiers that can be close.... all them simple.... but only close, giving me more power, more dinamic, more treble or more bass.

But no one could match JLH, even Beat JLH.

I am rigth now comparing with one SS amplifier.....and still prefering the "stupid, old, superated, non logic, energy wasting", JLH design, the first and the great.

regards,

Carlos

jam said:
....but distortion is not the sole criteria in defining the sound of an amplifier.:)

Jep !
Interesting fact is, JLH and AKSA55 are the leading amps in the
ranking here, but these are the most distortive ? Funny...
The question is, are they sounding good because of their distortions,
or despite of them ?
THD is only some number, it does you tell nothing about the sounding.
Oh, it does you tell one thing, if it is ultralow, you can be sure the amp
will not sound good... ;)

Mike

Not quite Mike,

The AKSA at 20W into 8R resistive at 20KHz produces THD of 0.045%, most of it H2, the rest H3. These figures were obtained in California in Dec 2002 on an HP 339A distortion analyser.

This is not a highly distortive amplifier, although your point is well made about 'in spite of' or 'because of'.

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.