Super-power amps - higher current better than higher voltage - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2002, 03:45 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default e96mlo

I thought the point we were discussing was the suitability of transistors as low voltage high current devices, therefore needing low impedance speakers. I have shown you that they exist, So is it more rewarding to pursue this line of enquiry?I'm not an engineer so I don't have the anwser's. I repeat, the auto guys seem to do just fine with 12 volts
Old 28th June 2002, 03:50 AM   #32
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

The auto people also make extensive use of SMPS DC-DC converters to get suitably high rail voltages.
Old 28th June 2002, 03:54 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Yeah but with devices like the 2N5686/5684, you'd think that low impedance would be quite an option.
- "With power amplifiers, negative feedback is a good thing, and positive feedback can induce destructive oscillation, but with people, positive feedback is a good thing, and negative feedback can induce destructive oscillation"
Old 28th June 2002, 04:22 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default high cuurent

I guess the things that come into play are manufacturing costs,bigger current bigger transformer's etc etc. So theory has to make way for the practical
Old 28th June 2002, 05:01 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Wink NOW the truth comes out...

Quote:
Originally posted by Duo
I wanted to use some parts lying around to make an amp capable of breaking windows and lightbulbs making the neighbors go looney while their dishes fall out of the cupboards (which actually did happen once and I could get other people to justify that... heehee
Aha!! So it was YOU that was cranking up the watts in your cabin to the extent that it made the Titanic sink. I remember the dishes part...

Hide this!Advertise here!