How to use SAE A501 Amp, 1980's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2004, 03:01 PM   #1
321uam is offline 321uam  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How to use SAE A501 Amp, 1980's

Hi,

This is my first post.

My uncle give me a complete SAE '01 system. He paid over $5000 for this system i the mid 80's with a pair of Bose 901's. I have the SAE A501 amp, P101 pre-amp, T101 tuner, E101 equalizer. Now, I can't figured out how to hook all the wires up. I do NOT have the manuals.

I don't care about the tuner or equalizer.

I would like to try using the amp first with a modern A/V receiver pre-outs. Then combine the P101 with the A501 later. One step at a time.

1st. The A501 has speakers A, B outs. That's easy. Now, there's Channel A, B inputs, each channel has two RCA inputs, one labeled as 'normal' and the other as 'hi pass'. I HAVE NO CLUE HERE. If I have a modern A/V receiver with pre-outs FL, FR, could I connect to this these Channels A, B inputs and make the amp work?

2nd. After I get the A501 amp to work, I'll modify this message and ask about the P101 pre-amp.

Thanks
321uam
Old 24th September 2004, 06:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

All stereo gear works like this:

RCA connectors OUT plugs to an IN on the device where you want to send the signal.

From your "modern A/V receiver pre-outs" plug the RCA cable to the 'normal' input of the A501.
As for the "The A501 has speakers A, B outs" you may plug two different pairs of speakers to the amp and switch between them, as in speakers in different rooms.

The P101 has inputs for external devices, CD, Phono, etc. Plug your OUTPUT of these devices into the IN of the P101. The P101 has a pair of OUT RCA jacks that plug into the IN "normal" of the A501.

Think of a daisy chain when cabeling.
Old 25th September 2004, 08:32 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

The HIGH PASS inputs are there for use with a subwoofer system. Or possibly to rduce rumble. There is a low cut equalization on the input - the bas is rolled off. When you get it running, listen carefully to some music using the normal inoput, then move it ove to the high pass. You should hear a difference - the high pass will have less bottom.

The 901 speakers were designed to bous=ce the sound off the walls - the things should be set up with the little speakers aiming out the back. If that equalizer is the companion to the 901s, you will want to use it. They can be a bit shrill without it in my view.

Beyond that, do as Ace suggests.

Hide this!Advertise here!