Very good tutorial on circuit design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
john curl said:
I am also reading the tutorial. It is pretty good, but where is the advanced math? ;-)
John, the advanced math is only for extra credit!:D
Wow, the guys that wrote the tutorial should be proud. Its not everyday that someone as well reguarded as John Curl gives a kind rating to a tutorial.

P.S. John, I have been a fan of your designs for too long to admit. I have learned lots from back-engineering some of your work. I love its elegant, stream-lined, and well thought out design. We need more people like you and Nelson here to help us.

I hope that others read this 55 page tutorial. This is good preparation for real designers. Unfortunately, it doesn't have much on distortion, but that is usually emphasized in another course.
Thanks for the appreciation of my previous designs. Sometimes I wonder why I am trying to communicate here about my design philosophy. I like to make symmetrical circuits that have very low open loop distortion.
My question was actually directed at Mikek, who insisted that heavy math preparation is imperative to circuit design. This tutorial shows the real situation, just algebra for the most part.

john curl said:
My question was actually directed at Mikek, who insisted that heavy math preparation is imperative to circuit design. This tutorial shows the real situation, just algebra for the most part.
It wise not to underestimate the importance of math. Math is good to explain the behaviour of the circuits. What would simluation programs be without math?

I love math, it is just that I seldom use it in designing circuits. Why impose math on people who only want to build circuits? As you know, it takes years to get through vector algebra and differential equations. It just isn't that necessary to use calculus or vector analysis in electronic circuit design. Differential equations can be valuable for understanding loudspeakers, certainly, but not absolutely necessary. Where would you use advanced mathematics in amplifier design?

This ougfht to be a permanent link in some way (if possible).
Many people on this forum are already rather skilled in designing circuits, and some are close to being geniuses, but there are also beginners in here, who I think would benefit from a resource like the one given in the start of this thread.

Just an idea... don't even know if such a thing is possible.

Jennice

Well, math has not made me into an 'objective' designer. But then, I am an analog designer, not a digital designer. I can actually make symmetrical circuits work very well, although I have sometimes used more conventional approaches. I find that I can work with slightly dissimilar complementary components and make them work together.
In any case, I know a lot more math than what I normally use for designing analog circuits. While I recommend studying math, it is not imperative that you know much more than algebra to design a linear circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.