Tantalum resistors? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2004, 02:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to naimgame
Default Tantalum resistors?

I am looking at overhauling my marantz 1060 integrated amplifier fo its 3oth birthday, but I need some help. I am looking for what is the best carbon film resitor and carbon comp resistor. I have been told that tantalum resistors are the way to go? What should I do??? The current stock resistors are too old, and generate way too much noise. I also need to replace all the electrolytics, and suggestions for an appropiate replacement brand for old elna, nippon-chemi con capacitors? Does anyonw know the composition of these older Marantz amp caps? Any iformation about these parts would be serioulsy appreciated. I am also interested in replacing the trnsformer ( EI) with a toroid, any suggestions? Holden& Fisher??? Jeff
Old 22nd September 2004, 03:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
This site has some related info:
http://www.angela.com/catalog/resistors/Resistors.html
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd September 2004, 07:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Tantalum resistors?

You must be totally in love with that old lady.
The choice of parts will largely depend upon desire whether to retain the general character of sound or not. The tants, while being very good for new designs, will completely transform the sound and you may not be entirely happy with the results. Kiwame resistors may be a good match for the originals, but who knows? I would seriously think before going crazy with the total makeover and only replace a few components. The same is true about the caps - get the same or similar brands.
As for the mains transformer - i just cannot imagine any sensible reason for replacing it.

Hide this!Advertise here!