Newbie wanting a little direction - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2002, 05:43 AM   #11
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
nice. well, i gotta get some sleep for tonight, but im going to try and read most of that information tomorrow, and try to maybe order that cheap model first.

my ultimate goal here is to make my dad some powerful monoblocks (like 250W @ 4ohm) for his PSB goldi's. (and similar ones for myself).

so, if i get good at this, (which im sure i will), ROUGH estimate on how much a decent pair (single pair) of like 250W (4ohm mind you) monoblocks would cost? just electronics and power supply, casing not included. im just curious.

you guys have been great. im impressed. once i get all this down, i will do my best to pass on the info to the next newbie :-)
Old 21st June 2002, 05:20 PM   #12
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
If you want to start out with a kit, want to keep the budget down, and yet end up with something quite decent, this Q-Kit is a real sleeper. Essentially an LM1875 gain-clone kit. There is a lot more info at the AmpChip DIY forum to help you optimize or mod the design supplied in the kit.

You will need to supply heatsinks, case & power-supply (one local fellow just uses a pr of 12V car batteries) which will be the pricey part of the amp (it would be hard to keep the cost of these below the $16 USD cost of a pair of the amp kits).

dave
Hey, I have read pretty much all the info on all those sites now. (the beginner tutorials anyways, not the advanced stuff yet). Wow, my head hurts, a few hundred pages later, I have an idea what's going on.

But had a couple more questions, i was looking at that kit you linked, and you say it needs power supply, would a computer PSU work? I have one that is a 500-watt. And if not, they say they have a kit that works, but i was unable to find it? do they sell a suitable kit? i would also like to try my hand at building PSU's.

and lastly, does anyone out there want to sell any of their old equiptment for cheap? dont want to go out and buy a ton of stuff just to find out im not into this. so, if anyone has some decent stuff to unload, let me know.

Hide this!Advertise here!