Marchand Electronics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am a beginner in solid state diy.
Does anybody knows if Marchand Electronics makes good power amps?
I really like to start bying a power amp kit simple to build.
They have multiple p.a. to choose from...but how good are they?

Does anyone have alternative manufacturers?
Would it be better to clone a reputated branded amp like Krell?

I'd like a amp with quality, so that i can couple it with my Proac's.
Thank you

:p

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
purist said:
I am a beginner in solid state diy.
Does anybody knows if Marchand Electronics makes good power amps?
I really like to start bying a power amp kit simple to build.
They have multiple p.a. to choose from...but how good are they?

Does anyone have alternative manufacturers?

The few people who i have chatted with that have their amps are quite positive about them. And from my experience with an XO kit they come with good instructions and are striaghtforward to build. They have one unit that can be run as 100W AB or 10W Class A that always intrigued me.

Another kit (you supply chassis & power-supply) is the AKSA from Printed Electronics.

dave

Have done one of them

I have buuilt the PM21 dual 65W that uses a pair of IC's. This is real simple if you've never done one before. Actually stuffing boards in not rocket science. You will also need a power supply. Marchand has a kit for that as well that you can use. Then you have the problems of selecting an enclosure, mounting the boards and heat sinks, adding a power switch, RCA or XLR jacks and binding posts, and finally connecting everthing including correct grounding. I found these less glamorous aspects were the real time consumers and sometimes more difficult than just assemling the amp board.

That makes this a good starter kit since with all the talk about setting bias, selecting transistors and other arcana, it is easy to loose sight of some of the more mundane but essential steps to actually get something one can use.

PS get a copy of G.Rany Slone's "Eectronics and Electricity" and read the section on saftey at least THREE times. Saved my butt!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.