Interesting books....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those books listed above look great for someone like me, who designs amps for a living, but they are most probably above the level brought forth here on this website. 'The Art of Electronics' is a pretty good general text on many aspects of electronic engineering. I have never seen a really good book on amp design, the closest being Ben Duncan' s book on amplifier design.

"The Art of Electronics" is ok for those who want to learn som basic electronic design, BUT is way to basic for those who would lika to learn advanced electronics.

I suggest that beginers start by learning solid state physics, in order to get a deeper understandning of how semiconductor devices work.

"Semiconductor devices, physics and Technolgy"(S. M. Sze) is an excellent book.:cool:

I all ready have that book The Art of Electronics and i like that book but it isnt my favorite.

Does any one have a copy of Introduction to Electroacoustics and Audio Amplifier Design, Third Edition by Professor W. Marshall Leach, Jr.?

Because that is the next book im thinking of purchasing along with Electronic Design From Concept to Reality fourth Edition.

I have never found that KNOWING how transistors work is very important. It is how they BEHAVE, in a circuit, that is most important. The physics of a transistor is interesting, but like knowing how the inside of of human body works, not important in working with people. I STILL don't really know how a transistor works. Not well enough to design one.

good books.

Try Horowitz and Hill
aka: "the art of electronics"

it's full of projects to illustrate the concepts being taught in a particular section. Once a nice "experimenters" kit is put together, you can learn an awfull lot of stuff first hand.

plug n' play solutions are the engineer's domain....
physicists start at the beginning. (although audio designers tend to look at the behaviour of a specific physical system, so I classify 'em as physical engineers or engineering physicists)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Morello said:
[BI suggest that beginers start by learning solid state physics, in order to get a deeper understandning of how semiconductor devices work. [/B]

If you want to understand semiconductor physics, you must first
understand quantum mechanics, and to paraphrase Feynman,
"Anyone who thinks they understand quantum mechanics hasn't
any idea of what it's about." ;)

The books that I tend to refer to are based on classes that I took in EE. For example: 'Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits' by Grey/Meyer, 'Electronic Engineering' Alley/Atwood, and 'Analog Integrated Circuits for Communication' by Pederson/Mayaram. While two of these books have IC design primarily in mind, I learned a lot from the courses from which these books were derived both at the undergraduate and graduate level, that extends to all audio design.

ElectronicsTech said:
Does any one have a copy of Introduction to Electroacoustics and Audio Amplifier Design, Third Edition by Professor W. Marshall Leach, Jr.?

You might try pinging BrianGT. I believe he's a recent Georgia Tech graduate (or still attending maybe?). I do know that it's the text for the undergraduate audio engineering course at Georgia Tech, which I had in the late 1970's. So my information is hardly up-to-date :) . The nature of the course back then was a bit unusual. It was my impression that he tried to pick material that wasn't covered in other courses in order to avoid duplication. This meant that in the case of electronics design, some of the fundamentals were left out, under the assumption that you've already had them as part of the prerequisites for the course. For that reason, the course was more of a collection of somewhat loosely related ideas without a unifying analytical framework. In other words, it wasn't the kind of course like many math courses are, where you take some core idea or set of ideas and flog them to death until you've arrived at a much deeper understanding of the subject. If that's what you're looking for, I'd echo John's recommendation of the Gray and Meyer integrated circuits text. It will cover the math behind the relevant integrated circuit building blocks in good detail for you. But putting these ideas together is a different matter. Having a solid understanding (from a mathematical point of view) of the building blocks is a necessary, but not sufficient skill set IMO. But once you have a solid understanding of these building blocks, you just let your imagination and creativity take over from there. Then analyze as necessary, or look at what others have done, and what those good and bad points are.

Feynman? I've read something (If I'm not mistaken)"Laughing with Feynman". Story from his childhood to quest of Physics to atomic bomb to nobel price, with humor.

What we can read right now is handbooks on how to make good measurement power amp. Nobody writes about how to make good sounding power amp. I feel that these 2 are very different subject.

This book will never ever be published?

Hi, SY,
I always fascinated by smart people in the world. Rare kind of people. Sometimes I can tell if he is real smart by how he wrote. If the writings are easy to read and meaningfull, that man really smart. Meaningfull things are told by humor, not by "hard to understand" words. Reading these kind of books is so much fun.
I read something about big-bang theory, how the universe was created. It is full of jokes, not fff(triple) differentials/integrals.

looking forward for some book about amplifier design from Nelson.
I'm on the second list for this. And the first on list for this book by John Curl.

I understand that "Amplifier Sound Secret" related very tightly to lifetime search and "make a living".
But making a complete sell-able amp is far-far away from knowing the cct. Craftmanship/metal working is one of the most difficult part, even to imitate. Part selection, like different kind of C or Resistor makes huge difference in sound. PCB tracking. Not to mention the bigname/brand image that is anchored more than anything in the mind of consumer.

A friend of mine copy 100% of 1 commercial amp, and the sound is very different. So i believe there is a "magic touch" by the original designer that cannot be copied by anyone else.

So, why the "sound gurus" here have not make their book(s) yet?

Jam is always asking me the same thing! This is the situation folks:
I keep TRYING to tell you how to make better amplifiers, on this website and others. Many of you just don't believe me. Some of you think I am a 'charlatan' (thanks Steve Eddy), others think of me as a 'blow-hard' ;-)
When it comes to schematics, you have my past efforts, as well as those of Nelson Pass and Charles Hansen on this website. These are examples of circuits that work! You can't have access to our LATEST circuits, because Charles, Nelson and I are actually in competition with each other in the marketplace. DUH!
When it comes to exact design, WELL, experience seems rather important, and some educational background as well.
I guess that it would be nice if I wrote a book or even a white paper showing you how to make a 'successful' amplifier. It would be like someone showing you how to build your own sports car. Many of you would take short-cuts, use cheap parts, substitute with impunity, and then WONDER why your results were not as good as the original design. After all, are resistors really different, caps, wire? According to many here, NO! What about circuit layout, the amount of negative feedback, and the presence of higher order distortion in the circuit? Who cares?
Sorry folks, I would like to write a book, but no one has made me an offer that I can't refuse.

well electronics engineers arent material scientist so i doubt they would be able to make a transistor from scratch. But they do know how to use a transistor correctly to function in a circuit.
All engineers need is the basic theory of how a transistor works and all the formula and a transistor data sheet to make the transistor work probably in a circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.