Lateral MOSFET replacements for 2SK1058 (Hitachi)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks:

I'm having problems sourcing the Hitachi 2SK1058 (or BUZ900P) L-MOSFET. I've checked the forum threads, and found a few leads, but they are all fairly expensive.

Is their an IR substitute for this part? Reference my other thread (high voltage ESL SS amp), are their any parts that would go over 200v and still have good audio characteristics?

I can get the 2SK1058 from Randy Sloan, but as I'm buying a 'hobbyists' large number of them (24), I was hoping to find a cheaper source. His prices aren't bad, but at close to $200 of transistors I want to see if there are alternates.

I tried Mouser, Digi-Key, Allied, and a few others, to no avail. I found a few DIY audio parts places that had them for slightly more than Randy Sloan himself (2SK1058/2SJ162 L-MOSFET pairs...$16.00 per pair). I checked all the threads that ref'd this part but didn't find anything cheaper than Sloan.

I've found Singapore distributors that have them for $2.10, if I buy 2,378:D

Check http://www.elfa.se/elfa/produkter/se/20/2022236.htm (frame page)

They sell them for approx. 10 USD a piece.

They have pages in english but there's no search yet. Try the swedish section (blue and yellow flag) and look for SÖK (=search). It's located at the top of the left frame.

To answer your question: These FET's are special in many ways and can't be replaced easily. You must have deep knowledge about the design they are in, otherwise it can be hard (impossible?) to get it working with other FET's.

jgwinner said:
Randy Sloan himself (2SK1058/2SJ162 L-MOSFET pairs...$16.00 per pair).

I have also been looking EVERYWHERE for these. I have pretty much decided to get them from Mr. Sloan. The cheapest I found was about $6.50usd each, but not matched. Because these are not cheap, I can't just buy 100 pairs and match them myself. So I'll spend the extra $1.50usd each to have them matched for me.

Well, good luck and let the rest of us know if you find a better deal. :)

Re: Re: Lateral MOSFET replacements for 2SK1058 (Hitachi)

seangoesbonk said:

The cheapest I found was about $6.50usd each, but not matched.

Randy himself said they don't need to be matched:

The L-MOSFETs incorporated in the OPTI-MOS amps do not require any "matching" techniques (don't confuse L-MOSFETs with the D-MOS families used in many automobile hi-fi systems).

Still, that's only a three buck difference, so you may still have a good point, although with 24 output devices that adds up.

For the quantity you're talking about, did you try Hitachi directly or a regional distributor? That's how I bought all the Hitach power MOSFETs I've ever had. Great price (relative to, say, MCM), and I always got related lot groups, so I didn't really have to match them.

Maybe you can engineer a group purchase to drive the cost down further?
mlloyd1

jgwinner said:
Folks:

I'm having problems sourcing the Hitachi 2SK1058 (or BUZ900P) L-MOSFET. I've checked the forum threads, and found a few leads, but they are all fairly expensive.QUOTE]

Try this...

An excellent replacement for these parts can be found at Profusion PLC . They carry the Exicon lateral MOSFETs (mentioned in Randy's book). You can get them for less than $5 a piece now (wow!).

If you look at the datasheets, these parts are slightly better than the Hitachis. It has been awhile since I last looked at them, because I am no longer going with one of Randy's design for my amp.

Silverpike:

That was an excellent source!

The ECX10N20 seems to be a slightly higher voltage version, as near as I can tell identical (the ECX10N16 is the cross, but I'm looking for higher voltage anyway).

Code:
[URL=http://www.hitachisemiconductor.com/sic/resource/japan/eng/pdf/transist/e2081244_2sk1056.pdf]2SK1058[/URL]      [URL=http://www.profusionplc.com/static/images/data%20sheets/ECX10N20.pdf]ECX10N20[/URL] 

Vdsx                   200        160
Gate-Source             14        15
Current                 8A         7A
Power                 125w       100w
Gate-Srce Bkdn        +-14       +-15
Input capacitance    500pf      600pf
Output capacitance   300pf      350pf
Turn On time         100ns      180ns
Turn Off time         50ns       60ns
So as near as I can tell they are faster and slightly better, and are cheaper. I'm not sure I'm qualified to read the output traces though. Do you think this would be an adequate subtition part?

Yes jgwinner, the Exicon ecx10n** parts are drop in replacements for the P and N channel Hitachis you identify. There is even a table on the Profusion web site stating this also. They should work fine.

As an added bonus, I am under the impression that they sound better than the Hitachis. I have not heard them myself, but I have seen comments on the net elsewhere to this end.

Re: Re: Re: Lateral MOSFET replacements for 2SK1058 (Hitachi)

jgwinner said:

Randy himself said they don't need to be matched:
quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The L-MOSFETs incorporated in the OPTI-MOS amps do not require any "matching" techniques (don't confuse L-MOSFETs with the D-MOS families used in many automobile hi-fi systems).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
:eek: don't need to be matched?!?! Sweet!!!

Where is this quote from? I would like to read the rest of that...
I own Sloan's "high powered amp construction" as well as his "Audiophile book". I searched through both and haven't been able to find anything...

Thanks.

The quote from Randy Sloan was from an email he sent me, when I asked something about buying matched transistors from him.

I think I'm going to buy the IR or Exicon parts, actually, the exicon has slightly better spec's and the IR might, I have to double check a few.

There is a cross ref table, I'd already seen that, but I wasn't sure if it was an exact replacement or 'would sound as good'. Manufacturer's will cross reference stuff to sell it, it might not be completly compatible for our purposes.

I'm putting together a shopping cart at Mouser for all the parts soon (next couple of days).

be careful ....

The IR devices are NOT a drop-in replacement for the Hitachi devices. The lateral devices have very different characteristics from HEXFETs. The zero tempco bias point for the Hitachis is around ~100mA; for the HEXFETs it is Amps (!), so you will have to do a bias regulator, unless you are doing Class A as Mr. Pass does.
mlloyd1

jgwinner said:
....I think I'm going to buy the IR or Exicon parts, actually, the exicon has slightly better spec's and the IR might, I have to double check a few....

SLightly off topic.....

Can someone either input these parameters into a SPICE file or tell me how to do it?

I'm trying to put the ecx10n20 data from the pdf into a Spice model in bSPICE and it's driving me nuts. Why can't all the three letter abbreviations for all the different operating characteristics be the same. Grrrr.

Eternalightwithin

Re: SLightly off topic.....

EternaLightWith said:
Can someone either input these parameters into a SPICE file or tell me how to do it?

I'm trying to put the ecx10n20 data from the pdf into a Spice model in bSPICE and it's driving me nuts. Why can't all the three letter abbreviations for all the different operating characteristics be the same. Grrrr.

Eternalightwithin

Here are Spice models for all the Exicon devices. I got them
from Exicon, so they should be OK.

Attachments

• exicon mosfet.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,889
What makes a quiet component?

Why are certain transistors and MOSFets, etc. more quiet than others. I guess I'm asking if there is a variable that makes tem better or worse for audio? I'm assuming that the higher the voltage, beta, and bandwidth, the higher the noise.

The reason I ask is that I want to make Rangy's OptiMOS and I wanted to know what the quiestest components I could put in there. I don't think I'll need 200W version with high effeicent speakers so I was planning on lowering the wattage.

Eternalightwithin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.