Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2003, 08:50 PM   #21
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: What makes a quiet component?

Quote:
Originally posted by EternaLightWith
Why are certain transistors and MOSFets, etc. more quiet than others. I guess I'm asking if there is a variable that makes tem better or worse for audio? I'm assuming that the higher the voltage, beta, and bandwidth, the higher the noise.

The reason I ask is that I want to make Rangy's OptiMOS and I wanted to know what the quiestest components I could put in there. I don't think I'll need 200W version with high effeicent speakers so I was planning on lowering the wattage.

Eternalightwithin
Noise has lot's to do with process technology.

If you are talking about noise in the output transistors, it's not a very important parameter, much more important in the input stage, 70-90% of all noise is generated there.
Old 10th June 2003, 09:52 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EternaLightWith Send a message via Yahoo to EternaLightWith
Yes I realize that. I had the input and VAS in mind actually. So are you saying that you really can't tell the noise characteristics, or lack thereof hopefully, unless you listen to it.

I was just curious if there were certain attributes you could look at and guessimate whether a device was low or high noise.

Eternalightwithin
Old 11th June 2003, 07:02 AM   #23
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

MOSFET's have allways more noise than other types but as long as you don't have them as input transistors you don't have to worry. Noise is never specified for power MOSFET's, only for RF like dualgate mosfet's.

I don't know if it's possible to estimate the noise just by looking at the transistor and how it's built? Never thought about it really.
Old 11th June 2003, 07:13 AM   #24
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
are you thinking about building a hitachi lateral amplifier from www.aussieamplifiers.com..
Old 11th June 2003, 07:20 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EternaLightWith Send a message via Yahoo to EternaLightWith
I wanted to build Randy SLoane's Amplifier. But thanks for the link.

Eternalightwithin
Old 11th June 2003, 11:59 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I bought 4 of Sloan's transistors and the exicon transistors (the 200v ones with more current). I plan on doing some listning tests but I have to admit I haven't gotten the amp built. Most of the circuit boards are populated, I need an enclosure.

So I'm not sure if they work well or not yet.

Hide this!Advertise here!