nested feedback loops

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dr. Cherry wrote a very techy article about nested fedback loops about two decades ago. I t has been reprinted in a few resources since, but I cannot access a copy.
Can any one out there point me to a resource from where I can download the article. It appeared in ETI and also as an AES ? paper.
Have you seen any alternative design info for NFL?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
AndrewT said:
Dr. Cherry wrote a very techy article about nested fedback loops about two decades ago. I t has been reprinted in a few resources since, but I cannot access a copy.
Can any one out there point me to a resource from where I can download the article. It appeared in ETI and also as an AES ? paper.
Have you seen any alternative design info for NFL?

You can do a search on the www.aes.org site and purchase the paper online.

Jan Didden

Edit: It appears there is no AES paper on this. Hmm.

Edit2: yes there is:

Nested Differentiating Feedback Loops in Simple Audio Amplifiers
Volume 30 Number 5 pp. 295-305; May 1982
Many audio power amplifiers consist in essence of a long-tailed-pair first stage, a lag-compensated common-emitter stage with its emitter on a supply rail, a complementary-emitter-follower output stage, and overall negative feedback. Two nested differentiating feedback loops can be added to this basic topology, to achieve between one and two orders of magnitude reduction in distortion, at little increase in component cost. Six extra components are essential; two small-signal transistors, one resistor, and two capacitors. Further small components such as zener diodes and bypass capacitors may be required, depending on the details of the supply rails the amplifier.
Author: Cherry, Edward M.
E-lib Location: (CD aes4) /jrnl7888/1982/7852.pdf
downloadable electronic version PDF (1.1 MB) $5.00 AES Member | $10.00 Non-Member
hard copy $5.00 AES Member | $10.00 Non-Member

Nelson Pass said:
NFL's have been around a long time - they had been thought
of 30 years ago that I know, and they quite simple to design
and implement. They work just like you think they would.

Longer even than that- Norman Crowhurst wrote about them in "Understanding HiFi Circuits" nearly 50 years ago (using hollow state devices), and it wasn't even new then.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.