"Current-clone"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good afternoon

After reading Nelsons article about transconductance amps and fullrange drivers I got inspired to try this concept with my fresh
Fostex horns.

I don´t want to spend any considerable amounts of time or money, so I got the idea of using cheap TDA 20XX power opamps.
TDA2050 seems to be the newest of them and the one with the least discouraging specs:rolleyes:

Another major reason for using these chips instead of the popular LM38XX are that these ones only have five legs, so point to point wiring should be easy.

Feedback would be arranged by a current sensing resistor (some 0,5-1 ohms) connected between the speakers negative terminal and ground instead of the usual voltage divider from the output.
This should give a very high output impedance which is attractive here.

What do you think?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Fuling,

The principle of current sensing feedback to create a high-impedance output works with any amplifying 'black-box' so there is no reason why it wouldn't work with the amp you propose.
There may be an issue with stability so you may need some other compensation then the standard data-sheet one, but maybe you should just try it out.

Jan Didden

PS Did you receive my mail on the 1-clap transistor?

Hi

I think I´ll give this one a try soon. I don´t have any high end ambitions, just want to see (hear) how the speakers behave when they are driven by a high impedance source.
If the experiment turns out good I´ll try something more delicate later, like a single ended amp or maybe even a pentode amp without feedback.

Yup,I got your mail;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.