Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2004, 10:02 PM   #11
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ainami
The (+) lead of the caps should be connected to the V+ pin? The (+) lead of the second pair of caps should also be connected to the V- pin?
Correct for the first part, but you got the second one the wrong way round. Ground is higher potential than -ve.
Old 10th September 2004, 11:21 PM   #12
ainami is offline ainami  United States
diyAudio Member

I want to thank everyone for their input here. I've made a decision to sell my Sunfire and replace it with an amplifier using a discrete design, such as the B&K. The Sunfire is proving to be much of a challenge, with one thing after another. A standard discrete design will be easier to mod into a high-end amp.
Old 11th September 2004, 01:08 AM   #13
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"The (+) lead of the second pair of caps should also be connected to the V- pin?"

The (+) lead of the second pair of caps should be connected to ground, the (-) lead to the V- pin.
Old 11th September 2004, 02:10 PM   #14
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Aaron,
Listen to both first. Then go. I'm not saying the Sunfire is better, just advice.
-Chris
Old 11th September 2004, 04:47 PM   #15
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

The Adcom amps have lots of current capability that the average amp. Thats what gives them the 'slam' that you liked.
Old 11th September 2004, 06:37 PM   #16
ainami is offline ainami  United States
diyAudio Member

The Adcom is a much simpler design. There were only 5 e-caps on each channel (two of them which coupled to the power supply). The sunfire has over 20 caps per channel and lots of opamps. That combined with the highly-regulated power supply makes me understand better how the sunfire sound is very laid-back. The consensus on a lot of opamps is that they will veil the sound somewhat.

The modded Adcom just seemed a lot better all the way around. It had the slam that the sunfire was missing and it was smoother and more accurate with less distortion. The Adcoms are cool and a good value for the money, but it seems that B&K has a little edge over them. I'm also looking at an ATI. I like their build quality, but I don't know if they use opamps or integrated circuits in their design. Their design uses a complete monoblock (per channel) design with only a shared transformer. This is probably good, but there are more rectifiers to replace.
Old 11th September 2004, 08:14 PM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Aaron,
With a properly designed power supply and amplifier, you will not hear the rectifiers. Trust me on that. But always listen to the product first.
BTW, I was warranty for Adcom also, and many other high end brands. I like Adcom and many others.
-Chris
Old 11th September 2004, 09:18 PM   #18
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

The Adcom benefits greatly for a regulated power supply. It is tighter, cleaner mids, and better imaging.
Old 12th September 2004, 02:49 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
BTW, I was warranty for Adcom also, and many other high end brands. I like Adcom and many others.
Hi Anatech,
I assume that you would have the service manuals of the Adcoms.
If you do ,would it be possibe for you to email me a copy of the circuit diagram of the Adcom GFA 535 power amp ?
amadhavan-at-yahoo.com ( replace -at- with (@) of course).
Thanks.
Ashok.
Old 12th September 2004, 01:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Ashok.
I used to have those manuals, they went with the shop when I sold it. You have no idea how much I miss having all those manuals. If I find a manual I will try to send it.
-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!