Complete beginner; looking to start.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm basically a beginner and looking for an intro into hobby electronics. I don't even really know much about being an audiophile. Right now I have a sony receiver, megacd player (don't use), htpc (all my cds are on it now-lossless), tv and dvd. I want to eventually have my own homebuilt system with as much made by me as possible. I have very basic skills in electronics mostly just with the 555 chip. But I know how to solder onto pcbs. I probably need some refresher in electronics any suggestions for books or ebooks with the basic info I need? (basic electronics or modelling)

I checked out the Slone book 80 audiophile projects from the library and it was a little over my head. I am looking for a good first project but I don't know where to start. I want something a little more involved than a cmoy headphone amp (which I'll probably build).

I was thinking maybe first building some sort of switching preamp with a stepped attenuator. Is this a good start? Just something that I can plug my tv, xbox, dvd, computer audio/airport express into and maybe output into my receiver until I can build a proper power amp. I'm just looking to get my feet wet and build up some experience and skills. Is there something else I should build first? Can someone give me references for a few nice preamp designs?

Or should I build a 2 channel power amp first and use the receiver as the preamp? Would this be easier? The problem with this is I have no idea how to select a design. Again can someone name a design that I should look at? Or a book with a trusted design. I want it to be easy to build but sound as good as I can without having to do massive customizations. What info would you need to better help me pick a design?

I just want to order the parts for something and jump in and get started. Or at least have one project to resarch/learn about. I want to make the system modular anyway so I can change parts around and learn more about sound. I also don't know enough to commit to a single integrated amp solution right now. And I figure I'll be stuck with my receiver either for a preamp or a power amp for a while anyway.

Finally any other references would be helpful as well. I am probably going to also keep a weblog of the whole process as well to document my design and learning process. So any info you provide here will probably be incorporated into that. I'm sure there are others who are like me and don't know where to start. I even need references covering things like what is speaker impedence and why is it important, basic audio concepts and such.

Thanks
Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.