hand winding transformer, by Dx and John Mateus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DX, Thanks, this is very useful to me! I was wondering just how to begin the rewinding of a wall-wart transformer. One tip for you, in return.

NOTE: Dangerous use of blades involved! Improper use of this advice may result in serious injury or DEATH! :hot:

When I was disassembling the EI cores of my little transformer, I did something other than your bruise-the-hand-with-a-hammer method. I used a razor blade. The first set or two had to be bent a little to get a grip on them and pull them out, but the rest were ~ very ~ ~ easy ~ to separate. I insert the sharp edge of the blade in between the layers of the core, and they start to separate. If you already have the first layer out, you can move the blade between the layers and it will separate itself all the way around the core, and is now easy to pull out. I found out also that using this method, most of the I sections can be removed while STILL GLUED to the E sections, very greatly easing reassembly.

I hope this technique will save your hand a great deal of pain in the future!

NOTE: This is DANGEROUS if you are not accustomed to working with razor-sharp blades. Use HEAVY gloves if you are in the least worried about cutting yourself. I work with razor blades every day and my gloves are somewhat cut resistant and I have STILL cut myself about twice a year, but not badly (thank God!)

It should be obvious but you never know: Unplug the transformer from all power sources before disassembly!

P.S. this little transformer was queer in that it had TWO bobbins- one for the primary and one for the secondary. This should greatly ease reassembly! :hot:

Stoker and Epupa..hehe, different guys!

Stoker, you made me laugh a lot...you very good humor, a very good mood i perceived on you....join me and the crazy guys, we will leave 120 years, but we will kill the bad mood people too much fast!...hehe...... ice and hot.... do not match!

Yes, i wonder the use of blades....and i use my special knife, small and good to handle to separate blades.... but i prefer to avoid that information..... was afraid someone can he hurt too much by a sharpen blade beeing used.

But was good to see someone talking about that...hehe...and i am not responsable with some fingers out from someones hand!...my President have not one finger.... the smaller one..... people is asking where's its finger..... i can imagine.....brazilian people, when sitting of hard chair will have one idea where my president put his finger in its people.....60 milion are very angry with him.... he is lucky as a hell... we never shotted our presidents.... good people we are....good to much...more than needed, and more than is reasonable.

Mr. Epupa,

Yes, we have a lot of transformer companies.... make a half you population counting..... but they are not cheap and this is agains my own philosophy....."never buy something to your hobby, if you can DO IT BY YOURSELF".... Using junk or trash or old equipments dismounted....I do not go to shops to buy parts..... we make "Escambo"..... i give some parts to some friend, and i have some parts from him....we are in contact using WEB, telephone and Citizen Band radio that is turned on and loud all day long... especial channel i made to the group....half way between channells and double side band transmission....sometimes can listen the other world side....never could listen Australia...i think they do not use 27 MHz CB there.

Wonderfull to be free to "create" the voltage and the power you want..... as one good example....i like the decay in wave forms and the result of them when hearing....this way...i made supplies to have some "good loss" of voltage...... hummmmmm!.... gooood!>.... because this enphasise some type of bass decay.......

Love distortion Carlos?

Yes, i like them.... we are hearing only distortions since the event of the damn speakers!>... that awfull piston destroy any pretty audio wave form..... so.... worried about distortion is only Academic trainment.... will never hear that...speaker will not let you listen your good amplifier..... try to use one that be kind with the speaker and have a good conversation, a good friendship, related the speakers.

And people do not realise, i suppose, that standing waves appear in speaker too...have to adjust output coil, and better if constructed as the greek letter "P"...pronouce it you will understand...pronouce as an american you will reach what i mean.....3,14.........this way you have to measure what is going in and what is returning....no one do that......hehe..... in radio frequency we have to do. Standing wave Ratio meter is used SWR meter..... i made one modified to audio..... and resulted good.

If i have to use that stupid thing the speaker..... i will use it the better i can.....never used coils or capacitors!... this is a criminal work.....mad work, crazy as a hell!..... put inductances, capacitantes and resistances....problems that you already have, and go increasing.

Try to see SUONNO MAGAZINE, year 1980... the magnificent wide world speaker working and a hi speed camera making 600 pictures each second..... you can see one bullet going outside a gun......and some fast birds stopped in the air....can see that some ligthning do not came from sky to earth...hehe...oposite!.... and the world not squared as the scientist said to us in 1500 AC.

In this magazine you could see Polipropilene diafragms, Paper diafragms speaker cones, other plastic, metal, carbon fiber and others completely deformed... completely crazy shapes when moving.... of course, coil will hit the magnetic gap!...and noises will be produced too...that watter pump piston is not a good sound producer.

Since this moment i realise that do not need to take too much care of amplifier.....but , as everybody i like to search the "impossible" dream to match the alive sound performance....hearing a piano you will see that the amplifier reproduction seem a sinthethizer playing....hummm bad as a hell..... awfull is something kind to talk about the sound recorder and reproduced by amplifiers.... and i use the JLH.... many people said this one is good..... that's my number one reference in audio amplifier...hummm...good name to one amplifier.
"The Reference One".... i can see in imagination the gold plated panel.....inside, the first JLH with the best components on earth!

People tried to beat JLH, and used PNP and NPN....impossible!... those crazy "different" things never match entirelly!I

I do not discuss that..... 4053 amplifiers done is enougth to make conclusions.... no PNP and NPN in the output....i am out... do not assemble anymore.... i delayed 40 years to perceive that clearly...now, those designs are erase from my mind....i found them and junk them.

Regards... today talking too much...hehe...as everyday.

People do not need to use the hands.... i like to do because easy things , without hard work to have it, have not value!.... this way i married the most difficult girl i found.... the worst damn hell Lady...the Spanish beauty is the cousine of the Devil in personn... it is hard to touch her and to produce the 4 daugthers gave me a lot of work.... this is good..... when things is difficult...this way i am always finding "the amplifier"...but this one, will never find.... and if founded!!!.... the game will be finished....hummmmm , no good! ....hehe.... awfull!

regards, all

Flower friends and Cannon friends... i love you all, you are special specimen..... Crazy ones as i am!!!

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.