posting of pcb layout - controversial issue - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2004, 06:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default posting of pcb layout - controversial issue

Having gone thru this post :
Anybody have a PCB for this?

I was wondering what I had done in one of my former post :

Holton's AV400

was tampering anybody's benefit. I lay the board myself and don't know if by posting my work in public, will voilate anything at all. If there is any copyright problem, would the administrator please remove my former post.

I'll like you guys to discuss on this kind of situation so that we know exactly where our position is.

I've drawn my own board with inspiration from what I can get from various web-sites on the topic.
Old 21st August 2004, 09:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Unless your board is a exact copy of another that has not been released into the public domain, ( such as a board for an ESP P3A or similar), then we have no problems.

The IP in relation to PCB design is that of artistic design, (AFAIK), so if you laid out all your own traces for a schematic in the public domain, then the copyright is yours, and you can do with it what you will.

However, you may not be able to reproduce the published schematics to go with the design if the author has copyrighted those...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st August 2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Quattor is offline Quattor  France
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Amen!

A M E N !
Old 21st August 2004, 06:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

diyaudio is likely on the correct side of the law, but let's not be naive.

Posting a full PC board layout of a design like the AV-400 does have negative effects on the designer of the amp unless diyaudio members react properly.

The AV400 designer sells circuit boards on his site. That is how he funds his new amp designs and the site.

There are positive aspects as well. There is more awareness of the design and their website.

The designers have to post schematics and images of completer boards because anyone considering buying them wants to know the circuit first. They are expecting ethical behavior where a vast majority of folks will buy the board even if they want to try their hand at laying out their own.

So I think it comes down to ethics and integrity. If you value the designs enough to build them, you are on the hook to buy the boards from the designer even if you give them away and layout your own.
Old 21st August 2004, 06:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by moving_electron
So I think it comes down to ethics and integrity. If you value the designs enough to build them, you are on the hook to buy the boards from the designer even if you give them away and layout your own.
From an ethical point of view, I agree that this is the best option, and I would recomend it, but as mods we end up being a little cynical unfortunately.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!