Anybody have a PCB for this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I pointed out earlier, how much more will your amp project cost if you will add 30 dollars? Of course if you etch the pcb yourself it will cost you 1 dollar at the most but this pcb layout happen to be NOT public domain. I'll guess you have to sit down and make the pattern yourself... which isn't so easy if you don't know how it should look like.

I want to build this project (project 101), http://sound.westhost.com/ but don't think the price for his boards and shipping is worth it.

So, does anybody have the PCB pattern for this project that I can use to make my own board?

Yes, I have a PCB for this.

No, you can't have it. It is intellectual property that belongs to Rod Elliot. The price Rod is asking is cheaper than dirt. It is more than worth it. The only reason the design you covet exists is the hope on Rod's part he can recover the cost of design and fabrication plus a modest profit. If you have never successfully laid out an amplifier PCB even from a cookbook schematic, you cannot imagine the time, effort and cost it takes to "get it right". If it were me, I would be pricing the boards 50-100% higher and no way would I post the schematic (even without values) on my website like Rod does.

Built one and Rod's PCBs are a bargain. He's got the P101 boards at a lower price at the moment as there was a slight error in the latest batch.

I don't think Rod's going to get rich from selling his boards and he needs support for his R&D and brilliant web site which is like a one stop shop for the DIYer.

soundNERD said:

And, yes. 30 dollars for a piece of pcb with copper is a ripoff.

Not when I look at the few boards I have tried to make. I think professionally made boards are a bargain compared to the cost of my learning curve, time and materials (some wasted) and health risk. What do you plan to do with the etchant afterwards?

I think that is the reason most people were trying to steer you Rod's boards, not thinking that you are trying to rip off Rod's work.

Careful with the broadside insults, or you might not get the help you need later on in your project. ;)

soundNERD said:
I'm not asking for a copy of his work, i'm asking if somebody has made their own board design for this.

The only way anyone would know component values etc for this project would be if they have purchased Rod's board. Therefore, own design or not would be stealing Rod's work.

Besides, as noted, you can't just slap tracks together on a bit of board and have it work - there are numerous issues to attend to when laying out a power amplifier PCB. Rod's PCB's have all of these issues worked out already, well worth the expense when you consider you're not likely to get it right first time around.

jaycee said:

The only way anyone would know component values etc for this project would be if they have purchased Rod's board. Therefore, own design or not would be stealing Rod's work.

last time i checked, the schematic is free...

and about the etchant, I collect it in a bottle and bring it to the hazardous waste day our town has

And I guess you are right, I'm just aggrivated people thought I wanted to steal from him. I was just asking if there were anyone like me who prefers to make things from scratch and wouldn't mind sharing the board layout they came up with with me.

how stupid are all of you?

I'm not asking for a copy of his work, i'm asking if somebody has made their own board design for this.

So why don't you all calm down and take a chill pill.

And, yes. 30 dollars for a piece of pcb with copper is a ripoff.

last time i checked, the schematic is free...

Well, as you said, the schematic is free. If you are so bent on paying next to nothing for the PCB, sit down, design the board and etch it. It should cost you next to nothing. I don't see what the problem is. Don't expect people to come out of the woodwork to help you rip the guy off, when you rip the guy off yourself. DUH.......:cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.