Bryston 3B-SST Reloaded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Salute

I'd like to build an Amp by using parts of the schematic of the Bryston 3B-SST. Basically, I'd like to use the Pre- and the Output-Stage directly as it is in the schematic, but I'd like to customize the other parts of the amp, like the power supply, thermal protection and the soft-start. Bryston uses a +/- 65V rail voltage, but I'd like to use two 500VA O-Core Trannies combined with some fancy T-Net caps which would provide me with something like +/- 60V. So, I think that I can rebuild the Pre/Output-Stage without making major changes in this section of the amp.

Now I'd like to know if someone in here has some experience in working with Bryston schematics, because I am not sure about what to expect with delicate parts like the feedback layout design and thermal coupling of some paired transistors, if there are any. I am not that experienced in amplifier design, but I'd really like to bury myself into the stuff, and since I have a degree in electrical engineering I'd love to become a professional in this particular area.

I would really appreciate any helpful suggestions and hints. I don't want to try and error all the time, because I'd really like to make some nice PCBs out of the schematic, and the initial costs of PCBs are pretty high.

Thank you very much!

The 3B-SST is really ambitious for your first try. However I would like to see someone build one of these. If I where you I would strip it down and forget about the Pre- section (you know that’s not IC op-amp, right), just see if you can get the amp working. You also don’t need the clipping indicator. I once drew up in express pcb a board for this amp. However I never built it.

I also wondered about the pre-section being assembled completely discrete. It might be easier to realize with an IC, but I don't know how this would influence the whole system in terms of stability. Apart from that, I was once again on the Bryston webpage and I just have to say that the overall building quality of the amp is something that I for myself will never reach...just amazing, like a tank.

The thing that really worries me is if I seriously decide to build this amp, then I'll spend more than 1500 $ just on the trannies, the caps and for the initial PCB costs. This would put me under serious "pressure" to finish the project successfully. I don't want to spend thousands of bucks for something that has "only" scientific value for me. I guess I'll just wait and see...

Any other suggestions are really welcome.

First of all, I like the approach of Bryston to build reliable, no-nonsense amps with lots of muscles.

I read lots of reviews of those amps and I could barely find a negative one, altough I for myself haver never seen or even heard a Bryston in reality. But I'm pretty sure that if I'm successfully building one of these babies then I won't have to worry about amplification issues for a veeeery long time.

I for myself haver never seen or even heard a Bryston in reality

Obviously we have very different approach towards audio. I'd never consider investing time, effort and money into something which i haven't heard. The best about Bryston is the warranty, build qualty and reliabilty and diying doesn't guarantee any of these. As for the sound, it's clearly not my cup of tea and one can only guess if it's yours.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.